MJBalaji
Aspirant

Reg: GS608 Indication Status description

Hi,

While using this switch, different colors of indication status were shown. Can I get a brief description about the Indications with various color ?

Most of the time, green indication is shown. what will be the transfer rate at that time?

In few cases, Orange indication is shown. what will be the transfer rate at that time and what are the possible conditions to get this indication status?

Model: GS608|Desktop Gigabit Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Reg: GS608 Indication Status description

Hi MJBalaji,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

If the port LED is lit up green, it means that you have a 1000Mbps of connection.  If the port LED is lit up orange, it means that you have a 100Mbps of connection.

About testing the transfer rate, doing an iPerf test would help.  Here are the links I found online that you could use as a guide to perform an iPerf test.

What is iPerf and how is it used?

Iperf Tutorial

Basic Network Testing with iPerf

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
MJBalaji
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thank you for ur reply..

Is there any other possible reasons to get orange color indication..like improper connection, etc,..?

Message 3 of 8
MJBalaji
Aspirant

DaneA,

In my application,

I'm communicating between System A and System B through this switch with an application installed in both the system which has to be initiated after each bootup.

Actual problem:

While communication, due to some other technical issue system A have rebooted (Without initiating the application in system A, it can't communicate), but System B will be responding for the older communication.

At this condition what should be the switch status??

Note: I'm getting orange color indication in the ethernet switch

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@MJBalaji,

An orange color indication could mean also like for example:  there is a PC connected to the GS608 switch.  Even if you are using a CAT5e or Cat6 ethernet cable but if the LAN adapter of the PC just supports 100Mbps, you will get an orange LED lit up on the GS608 switch indicating that you are connected via 100Mbps only.

What are these sytems A and B?  Are these also switches?  It would be best that you post a .img or .png diagram or screenshot of your detailed network setup.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
MJBalaji
Aspirant

DaneA,
System setup.jpg

We have four sub systems with independent processors Lets Say A, B, C & D connected via Ethernet and constitute a system. In the configuration, sub system A is alone having User interface ie this processor alone is connected to display, keyboard, printer and joystick. The communication between these sub systems are of command & response basis.

Please note that the scenario is not in one particular interface / switch point. We have seen the Orange LED glowing in any of the four ports.

We would like to understand the possible scenarios / situations in which we will have the orange LED indication in the switch.

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@MJBalaji,

From another post here in the community, having an orange light lit up on the port would mean that negotiation is failing.  Kindly read the forum thread here

Are the systems connected to the GS608 switch capable of 1000Mbps or 100Mbps of connection? Are you using Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables? 

It might help if you post the actual pictures of the systems you are referring to that are connected directly to the GS608 switch.  In this way, other community members who have the same experience as yours might chime in to this topic and share their thoughts. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@MJBalaji,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements