× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seeking help with vlan tagging for ISP connection

mark0077
Tutor

Seeking help with vlan tagging for ISP connection

Hi guys,
I am not a networking expert and am struggling. I use an ISP router and recently bought a nest WiFi mesh system. The nest WiFi is unstable due to double natting and my ISP router doesn't have a bridge mode so I want to connect the nest WiFi directly to my fibre network.

However my ISP requires the wan port on the modem to use vlan Id 10 which the nest WiFi doesn't allow.

I have a gs108ev3 switch and am hoping I can solve the issue using it's vlan tagging. However I cannot figure it out. Can anyone help.

Basically I intend to connect port 1 directly onto my isp fibre terminal (and disconnect it from my isp router). This is the one that apparently must use vlan 10 in order for the ISP to connect. I intend to connect port 2 out to my nest WiFi wan input. And then would connect my nest wifis single 1gig output back into port 3. Then I would connect various devices to port 4 to 8.

In the switches admin page under vlan - 802.11q - advanced I have the following

A) Under vlan configuration I currently have vlans 1 and 10 present.

B) Under vlan membership

For vlan 1 I have ports 1 to 2 blank, ports 3 to 8 set as untagged

For vlan 10 I have port 1 as tagged, port 2 as untagged, ports 3 to 8 as blank

C) Under port pvid I have ports 1 and 2 as vlan 10 and ports 3 to 8 as vlan 1

I'm sure most of this is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark
Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Seeking help with vlan tagging for ISP connection

@mark0077,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

However my ISP requires the wan port on the modem to use vlan Id 10 which the nest WiFi doesn't allow.

Setting up a bridge for a VLAN tag group should be configured on the router (the router should support this feature) for it to work.  The feature I'm referring to is similar to the article below:

How do I set up a bridge for a VLAN tag group on my Nighthawk router?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements