× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Suggestion for connecting NetGear switch to home network

csrazdan
Aspirant

Suggestion for connecting NetGear switch to home network

Hi All,

I recently purchases NetGear ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS108E. I would request your help/suggestions for connecting it to my home network. The other components which I have is Motorala SurfBoard SB6121 Cabel Modem and Cisco Valet M10 Wireless router.

I have a Comcast Blast Plus service and if I check my internet speed by connecting my laptop directly to Cable modem, I get 50 Mbps Download and 11 Mbps Upload. If I connect my laptop to the ethernet port of Wireless router the speed I get is 25 Mbps download and still 11 Mbps upload. 50% decrease in the internet download speed. So I decide to buy a NetGear Switch so that I could run all my wired connection from the switch and expect the speed 50 Mbps Download and 11 Mbps Upload.

I did connection as, Cable Modem --> NetGear Switch --> Wireless router. In this configuration none my devices are able to connect to internet and I get Unidentified Network message. I tried to troubleshoot using Windows connection manager but it just asks me to switch off and connect again. I tried this multiple times but was not able to resolve the issue.

So I want back to the NetGear Switch mannual and did connections as suggest as quick setup guide. Cable Modem --> Wireless router --> NetGear Switch. In this configuration all my devices are able to connect to internet but I am getting the speed of 25 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload,same as what I was getting when running wired connection thorugh Wireless router.

So essentially, NetGear switch is not doing anything for me except providing me few more ports to run wired connections.

It would be a big help if somebody can guide me in resolveing my problem.

Regards,
Shekhar

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Should had bought a new router in the first place. Your router is the problem. Check on their site for a solution.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Should had bought a new router in the first place. Your router is the problem. Check on their site for a solution.
Message 2 of 12
fordem
Mentor

csrazdan wrote:
So essentially, NetGear switch is not doing anything for me except providing me few more ports to run wired connections.

This is what a switch is designed to do - if your problem is local transfer speeds, a faster switch MAY help, if your problem is internet speed, a switch will have no effect.

As has been pointed out your problem is the router.
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I did connection as, Cable Modem --> NetGear Switch --> Wireless router. In this configuration none my devices are able to connect to internet and I get Unidentified Network message

This setup will not work as comcast only allow single dynamic IP release at a time on residential

Cable Modem --> Wireless router --> NetGear Switch. In this configuration all my devices are able to connect to internet but I am getting the speed of 25 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload,same as what I was getting when running wired connection thorugh Wireless router.

Cisco Valet M10

Gigabit router

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31117-cisco-valet-m10-wireless-hotspot-revi...

WAN-LAN throughput is 88.2Mbps so it should handle 50Mbps from comcast

Assume the you still get full speed when computer is connected directly to the M10 but if computer behind the switch is sat 25Mbps?
Message 4 of 12
csrazdan
Aspirant

Thanks Guys for your replies.

Could you please help me resolve unidentified network issue when I connect it as Cable Modem --> NetGear Switch --> Wireless router? Is this a valid connection?
Message 5 of 12
csrazdan
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
This setup will not work as comcast only allow single dynamic IP release at a time on residential

Thanks for explaining this to me.

jmizoguchi wrote:

Gigabit router

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31117-cisco-valet-m10-wireless-hotspot-revi...

WAN-LAN throughput is 88.2Mbps so it should handle 50Mbps from comcast

Wired connecion from M10 gives me speed between 25 to 28Mbps

jmizoguchi wrote:

Assume the you still get full speed when computer is connected directly to the M10 but if computer behind the switch is sat 25Mbps?

I see full speed of 50 Mbps only if I connect my laptop directly to Motorola cable router. I get speed of 25Mbps for both M10 router or NetGear switch. I am using CAT5 wires for connections.Do you think I should upgrade to CAT5e?

My M10 wireless router is about 3 year old. Is this time to change, it works great though.
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

50 out of modem 25 out of router = bad router. Yes, it should work but it doesn't. You should seek guidance from cisco support. A lot of good general information but your problem has not been resolved. Check the Cisco site for a FW update.
Message 7 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Cat5 can handle upto 100Mbps so you are ok

M10 may connected to cable modem at half duplex
Message 8 of 12
fordem
Mentor

searay wrote:
50 out of modem 25 out of router = bad router.

Not necessarily.

50 out of modem 25 out of router = slow router - it doesn't mean the router is in any way defective - and it could be nothing more than how the user has chosen to configure the router/firewall.

I won't elaborate further on cisco configuration in Netgear's forums, but I will say based on the facts presented, your conclusion is not a valid one.
Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In post 2 & 7 I suggested he seek support at Cisco. The last Cisco product I setup was a Cisco Catalyst 9000 16 years ago. I had no idea their home routers could be setup to negatively effect WAN to LAN throughput hence my response. I now know it's a sloooooow router.

Thanks

Op! you have a slooooow router not a bad router. LOL:eek:
Message 10 of 12
csrazdan
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
Not necessarily.

50 out of modem 25 out of router = slow router - it doesn't mean the router is in any way defective - and it could be nothing more than how the user has chosen to configure the router/firewall.

I have default configuration.I mean have not changed anything accept the Admin password. Any help in configuration will be appreciated.

Talked to Cisco support and they conveniently said the router is out of support and suggest me to upgrade to EA6400. Looked for firmwere upgrade and upgrade to Ver.2.0.03 (build 4) 01/14/2011
Message 11 of 12
csrazdan
Aspirant

Finally able to resolve the problem. Here is my internet speed now --> http://www.speedtest.net/result/3061806239.png

Found following link for Linksys community.
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Hotspots/valet-M10-doesn-t-work-well-please-help/td-p/36569...

Though issued was to resolve wireless connection but it worked for my wired connection also.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements