× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What's the proper set up for my Netgear JGS524

Homeuser66
Guide

What's the proper set up for my Netgear JGS524

Hi, I am new to the networking aspect of computers. I have an:

AT&T Gateway (5031nv)

Asus Router (RT-AC68U)

DirecTV GenieGo

WD 4TB MY Cloud

My current set up is From AT&T gateway I have 1 line feeding into my Netgear Switch, and another line going to my ASUS Router which has my DirecTV GenieGo hooked up to . Then I have everything else hooked up into the Netgear. 

My question is, should I just have everything go into the Netgear, and then everything would be on the same network? I only have 1 issue right now and I did a work around for it, but I had my wireless printer working before for all PC's and devices, now it won't. I had to revamp my room and unhooked everything and don't remember how I origianlly had it set up, but this is kinda working for me other than the printer part.

If you need a diagram, I'll draw one if need be, but be warned, I'm not an artist!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Homeuser66,

Here is what BrianL is trying to tell you.  Kindly read the following below:

A.  If ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router, then configure the AT&T Gateway as a modem-only device.  Then connect the Asus router directly to the AT&T Gateway.  This will make the Asus router as the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the Asus router to extend the local network.  Refer to the image below:

B. If ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router then you could just remove the Asus router from the network setup.  This will make the AT&T gateway the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the AT&T gateway to extend your local network.  Refer to the image below:

C. From scenario B, if ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router then you could just remove the Asus router from the network setup.  This will make the AT&T gateway the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the AT&T gateway to extend your local network.  For wireless access to the internet, you may configure the Asus router as an Access Point then connect it to the JGS524 switch.  Refer to the image below:

Hope these helps. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
petehackett101
Aspirant

Hey,

Diagram would help. You have the printer and the other devcies connected to an access point right?

Message 2 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Homeuser66, 

Welcome to the community! 

In addition to the diagram, it would be best if you can give us your goals in changing your working network. Your setup right now looks good since you have the ASUS router is separated, so if ever the JGS524 goes down you will still have the network on the ASUS working. Are you looking to get the best bandwidth usage? Network performance? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 11
Homeuser66
Guide

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm uploading my diagram. I'm not sure as to why, my printer worked flawlessly wirelessly and now it won't. I think I have to plug my Asus Router into the Switch, but don't understand it all. I have to have my GenieGo (for DirecTV) hooked up to my Asus which does my 2.5G and 5G wireless networks. All my DirecTV boxes are all wirelsss and this box has to be on the same network. I also tried to hook my printer to the switch, but it wasn't found. Ohh, and I'm running Windows 10, 7 on multiple PC's and only my Wireless Windows 10 Laptop saw my printer recently.

NETWORK.jpg

Message 4 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Homeuser66,

Just set a gateway between the AT&T modem router or the ASUS router. Use a single LAN subnet for you network and  all devices will easily communicate.

AT&T Modem/Router -> ASUS Router or NETGEAR Switch -> home devices (wired/wireless).

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Homeuser66
Guide

Thanks Brian,

I'm thinking :

Internet to AT&T
AT&T to Asus

NETGEAR and GenieGo into Asus

Everything else into switch? 

If I understood you correctly? 

Message 6 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Homeuser66,

Here is what BrianL is trying to tell you.  Kindly read the following below:

A.  If ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router, then configure the AT&T Gateway as a modem-only device.  Then connect the Asus router directly to the AT&T Gateway.  This will make the Asus router as the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the Asus router to extend the local network.  Refer to the image below:

B. If ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router then you could just remove the Asus router from the network setup.  This will make the AT&T gateway the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the AT&T gateway to extend your local network.  Refer to the image below:

C. From scenario B, if ever the AT&T gateway is a combination of modem and router then you could just remove the Asus router from the network setup.  This will make the AT&T gateway the main router.  Then connect the JGS524 switch directly to the AT&T gateway to extend your local network.  For wireless access to the internet, you may configure the Asus router as an Access Point then connect it to the JGS524 switch.  Refer to the image below:

Hope these helps. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
Homeuser66
Guide

This is perfect! I was trying to understand this whole networking thing. I only use the Asus Router for the Wifi as the AT&T 2.5G interfered with my Logitech G930 wireless headset (Which I no longer have). The whole configuring the AT&T Gateway as a modem only device I did a few months ago and had issues making long distance phone calls, so I set it back to default and just turned off the wifi on it. Bought this Switch with the impression that it pretty much adds ports to whatever I plug it into (example: Asus has 4 ports, plugging this into it would give me 27 ports on the Asus). I'll play around with what you just posted! 

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Homeuser66, 

You are welcome!

You are correct that the JGS524 switch will just give you additional ports to extend your local network since its just an unmanaged switch.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
Homeuser66
Guide

Basically, before I read your (Accepted) post above, I played around with my configuration and I have EVERYTHING working perfectly with this set up that I have in my above post. All I did was unplug everything and wait a few minutes, then I plugged in each device 1 by 1. I only had to do this as I unplugged everything a few days ago when my furnature came in for my room. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough or something or had something plugged in wrong. I also couldn't access my Asus router using the IP address I had, now I can....again, not good with networking...lol

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!!

Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Homeuser66,

I am glad that everything is working fine.  Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Happy Holidays to you as well. 

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements