× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

experiencing network interruptions with video streaming on JGS524E

tigerwutz
Aspirant

experiencing network interruptions with video streaming on JGS524E

I bought a new JGS524E to replace my existing DLink switch. Sadly to say that I am not convinced with the new switch as I am experiencing network interruptions with video streaming. Technically speaking I am recording TV stream from a receiver (VU Duo2) to a NAS (Synology), both are directly connected the the switch.

At irregular intervals, the network connection seems to be interrupted as the receiver cannot record for 1-2min, which ends in gaps in the video stream. 

I have checked the receiver and the NAS twice and could not replicate the issue. Changing back to the Dlink Switch, everything is fine.

How can I messure the connection and the stream to identify the issue and resolve my problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Model: JGS524v2|ProSAFE 24 Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Re: experiencing network interruptions with video streaming on JGS524E

Hi DaneA,

it has been a long time of testing a trial and error. Unfortunately all captures failed due to the overall file size with wireshare. However I could eliminate the problem occured with a simple but effective change in the network seetings of the source. I changed the mounted drive from CIFS to NFS... Not sure why it has worked with the older LAN switch before with CIFS. Anyhow - solved and happy!

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let's isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the model of the Dlink switch?  Is it an unmanaged switch that is also capable of Gigabit ethernet connection?

b. What is the current firmware version of the JGS524E switch?

c. Are you using the JGS524E switch as an unmanaged switch? 

d. Are there VLANs, etc. configured on the JGS524E switch?

e. Did you try to reboot the JGS524E switch then check if same problem occurs?

f. Have you tried to reset the JGS524E switch back to factory default settings then reconfigure it from scratch and check if same problem occurs?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

thanks for the warm welcome and your response to my query.

a. DGS-1008D unmanaged and GigaBit

b. 2.0.1.26

c. I have assigned a static IP address to the JG524E using ProSafe. No other configurations. Where can change the operation mode managed to unmanaged?

d. no

e. reboot does not fix the problem

f. haven't done it so far.

Please advise. Thanks in advance and your support is much appreciated.

Cheers

Message 3 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Kindly try to  reset the JGS524Ev2 back to factory default settings then reconfigure it from scratch.  Then, setup port mirroring on the JGS524Ev2 switch to monitor the port activity using Wireshark while you stream videos.  Select a port as a source port on the JGS524Ev2 switch where the streaming device is directly connected.  Then, select another port as a destination port on the JGS524Ev2 switch where a PC with Wireshark installed in it is directly connected.  It would be best that Wireshark could capture the packets on the event the problem occurs from the source port.

Kindly check page 21 of the ProSAFE  Plus Switch Utility User Guide here on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark on this link.  Check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark as reference guide.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open an online case NETGEAR Support and state your concern.  Attach the captured packets from Wireshark on the case you have opened for it to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Regards,  

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz, 

Kindly keep us posted if ever you have already opened an online case with NETGEAR Support

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Quick update: reseted the switch and currently capturing the packets.

Message 6 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Wait until same problem occurs so that it will be captured by Wireshark.  Kindly monitor it. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

How is the packet capture?  Does same problem occur while the packet capture is going on?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

captured 3 times in a row. Now issues occured. At the fourth time of recording/streaming I had the same issues again, but no capture at that time. Need to do the same over the weekend.

Message 9 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support here.  Click on "Get help on my NETGEAR product" then follow the procedure.  Be sure to attach the packet capture(s) on the online case you have opened.  This will be forwarded to the engineering team for the packet capture(s) to be analyzed why the problem occurs.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 18
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tigerwutz, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 11 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Sure JohnRo. The last captures failed due to limited memory on my PC. The average duration of capturing is 3-4h.

Do you have any suggestions how to set WS into using the diskspace instead of RAM during capturing?

Message 12 of 18
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tigerwutz, 

I'm pretty sure you can set the destination of the captured packets before starting the capture. Please see this reference from WireShark, click here

Thanks, 

Message 13 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Just want to follow-up.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Thanks for the guidance, however it only allows to save when the capturing has stopped - hence you cannot create a file before the capture. This makes it currently very complicated as the file size and the memory required to capture is something between 2-4GB... I have only one succesful capture, but during capturing the stream was not broken so that might not provide any valuable information.

Message 15 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

Were you able to try to capture the packets again wherein the problem has occurred while the packet capture is going on?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 18
tigerwutz
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

it has been a long time of testing a trial and error. Unfortunately all captures failed due to the overall file size with wireshare. However I could eliminate the problem occured with a simple but effective change in the network seetings of the source. I changed the mounted drive from CIFS to NFS... Not sure why it has worked with the older LAN switch before with CIFS. Anyhow - solved and happy!

Message 17 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tigerwutz,

I really appreciate your update.  I am glad that the problem is now solved. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements