× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to choose which switch is best

klender
Aspirant

how to choose which switch is best

Just moved to a home, where the previous owner left 2 switches.  I have used both and both are in good working order.  I would like to simplify my setup, and use only one.  Is there one that is better than the other?  I am installing an eero mesh network, and otherwise, have a couple of ethernet connections run to TVs and a gaming setup (Ps4 and Xbox).  I recently swtiched from hosting a server which needed a static IP, but I no longer need that capability.  Lastly, I just signed up for 200 MPS from our cable provider.

Any thoughts?

These are the two models.

GS116v2 vs JGS516v2

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: how to choose which switch is best

Keep the (physically) bigger JGS one near the router or utility room (there might be a small rack or the like with the cabling), and use the smaller GS where you need more Ethernet ports than installed cables are available. Performance is the very same - these are both non-manged but full wire-sped capable devices.

The existing set-up reads to me like there are a lot of network cables installed into different areas and rooms. If this is correct, what's the point of installing a Mesh system?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Keep the (physically) bigger JGS one near the router or utility room (there might be a small rack or the like with the cabling), and use the smaller GS where you need more Ethernet ports than installed cables are available. Performance is the very same - these are both non-manged but full wire-sped capable devices.

The existing set-up reads to me like there are a lot of network cables installed into different areas and rooms. If this is correct, what's the point of installing a Mesh system?

Message 2 of 4
klender
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.  I need the mesh system for wireless, and futher, the wiring was mostly for the basement where he had an office with multiple jacks...  generally poorly labeled.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Well, I would avoid wireless backhaul on these consumer Mesh systems and use SMB WiFi APs on cables instead. That's why my customers and we here at the home/SOHO never suffer from any wireless backhaul limitations, and the wireless does run rock solid 24*366 for three decades. I'll take the challenge for checking out the wiring, and add additional cables for the upper floor instead of using anything substandard (compared to a wired Ethernet, able to run links on up to 10Gb/s). But hey, be happy, believe in marketing ... 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements