× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

lack of fast network switches above 5g for home use

cascade96
Aspirant

lack of fast network switches above 5g for home use

Why are the choices for fast network switches for home use so limited?
gigabit network switches are very limited in use and becoming more limited every day.

I don't like wifi, frankly never had a good experience with it long term. the faster it goes the fewer walls it can get through, also wifi can't reach my room 7 feet away due to the walls.

I get full on gigabyte broadband, short of forking out for a completely ridiculous network switch intended for business use, there are limited options for the home user with faster than most 1g/2.5g switches.

Why is this space so dead? Motherboards come with 2.5g/5g and 10g network cards built in yet there is very little home network equipment available.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: lack of fast network switches above 5g for home use

Mostly due to home consumers are still limited by the 1000Mpbs LAN and WAN modem and routers and switches. Still not alot of call for higher speeds past 1Gb thought as of last year we are now seeing ISP speeds 1.2Gb and some consumer grade home equipment like NGs Orbi 8 and 9 series though the 9 series has a 2.5Gb LAN port. Other NG routers have multi gig ports on the LAN side. NG has the XS series switches and a GS series switches are for home use. I bought XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series. Like any new featured product, prices will always be high until it becomes the norm and there is more use of it in the home. Takes time. It took years before the home went from 10/100Mbps to 1000Mpbs on the LAN side. Same thing seems to be happening on the speeds past 1Gb. Were seeing progress though. Keep in mind there are major considerations when dealing with high speeds past 1Gb. The higher the speed the more heat there is to deal with and dissipate. Heat degrades electronics over time. 

Message 2 of 7
cascade96
Aspirant

yes I'm aware of how heat and electricity degrade electronics.

my own closed network my PC and router are both 10gb giving me speeds of around 1100mb/s down from the internet.

the lack of anything for home users in this space at this point is honestly just ridiculous.

I've had motherboards for the last 4 years with 5g/10g network cards built in, so it is very surprising the network space is lagging behind by a good 5+ years at this point.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the product is mostly market driven. Most of the high speeds have been reserved for the business and enterprise class environments that have more use of those speeds due to more saturation and usage in those environments. The home user, though may have some needs or high speeds on the LAN side, not as common or may not be able to saturate the LAN side. Again, market driven and as time goes on, eventually the home class will see more and more as time goes on. Users were asking and talking about speeds over 1Gb 10years ago. Here we are now. Just beginning to break the ice. Took some time. Will just have to be patient and go with that you find and can afford. I don't see 10Gb being normal or common in the home for another few years worst case. Just not a lot of call for it. Ya we have some devices that can support it. But for most average home users 1Gb is enough or all that's needed. I don't really need 10Gb LAN side. But since I help test NG product, I have it at the ready for testing needs. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 7
cascade96
Aspirant

Odd, may be just because of the people I am around but they are all having the same issues finding suitable high speed lan gear that isn't a grey boring box for an office.

Interesting that you think 1000 gigabit is enough these days, when 4k uncompressed would wipe it out on a switch and barely be able to deliver it compressed as well.

I think my use case and many others that end up just buying enterprise solutions are just tired of waiting for regular consumer versions.

meh I'll just go with an enterprise solution and wait for the idiots in charge to get with the times.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya but not alot of uncompressed 4K home users. Mostly it's comes down compressed. Ya I get it. Uncompressed content of course would not work over 1Gb speeds. Thats a given. 

Go with what you can find then. Find something that works for you. NGs XS and GS series works fine for me. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@cascade96 wrote:

Why are the choices for fast network switches for home use so limited?
gigabit network switches are very limited in use and becoming more limited every day.

There is not much consumer class equipment - especially if you have nice HIFi or home design in mind - in the market. Power requirement, cooling requirements and so on are prohibiting.

@cascade96 wrote:

I get full on gigabyte broadband, short of forking out for a completely ridiculous network switch intended for business use, there are limited options for the home user with faster than most 1g/2.5g switches.

Netgear has various models and switch classes available - from unmanaged 8...12 port models, this includes basic 10G/MultiGig switches with 24 MultiGig ports in this class. 

@cascade96 wrote:

Why is this space so dead? Motherboards come with 2.5g/5g and 10g network cards built in yet there is very little home network equipment available.

It's not dead - just expensive materials. 

Crucial re that not al early 1G/10G switches were MultiGig capable 1/2.5/5/10G, some 1G/10G entry level switches did not support 100M due to cost.

Enterprise is a wide spectrum of a complete different switch class, going up the newer Broadcom Tomahawk 4 400GbE and new Broadcom Tomahawk 5 800GbE switches.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements