× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

two issues with fs108 switch: wall unmount and mystery symbol on switch

chumpytown
Aspirant

two issues with fs108 switch: wall unmount and mystery symbol on switch

I have an fs108 (not sure from what year, it was present when I moved in in 2016; it is not the v3 version ) and have two questions.

First, how do I unmount from the wall mount position?  I am upgrading to a newer netgear with 1Gbps per port.  I understand the wall mount to simply be two screw heads, and the switch is hung like a picture on the wall.  However, when I try to wiggle the switch, it will not budge at all.  Again, I did not install this originally.  I tried using a hammer to tap the switch upward and it still will not budge.  The switch is attached to a Leviton Structured Media Enclosure.

Second, what is the purpose of the electrical ground symbol shown on the very left of the product image below (it looks like an inverted T shovel)?  I thought at first it might be related to the security lock (since my fs108 is so old it does not have a security lock mechanism) but it does not seem like the case.  

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: two issues with fs108 switch: wall unmount and mystery symbol on switch

@chumpytown wrote:

First, how do I unmount from the wall mount position?

Could have been slide-on he screw heads from other directions. Or glued onto the wall. Hammer, here I come!

@chumpytown wrote:

Second, what is the purpose of the electrical ground symbol shown on the very left of the product image below

Exactly that's it - a connection for grounding the enclosure - e.g. to bring the shielded cable system to the same ground level.

FWIW - check of the installed cabling is made of four pairs/eight strands and patched to the connector boxes accordingly.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@chumpytown wrote:

First, how do I unmount from the wall mount position?

Could have been slide-on he screw heads from other directions. Or glued onto the wall. Hammer, here I come!

@chumpytown wrote:

Second, what is the purpose of the electrical ground symbol shown on the very left of the product image below

Exactly that's it - a connection for grounding the enclosure - e.g. to bring the shielded cable system to the same ground level.

FWIW - check of the installed cabling is made of four pairs/eight strands and patched to the connector boxes accordingly.

Message 2 of 3
chumpytown
Aspirant

Thank you, it was glued down after all which I did not expect! Great suggestion.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements