× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

100 mbps between GS605AV & GS108v3

Oldboyracer
Tutor

100 mbps between GS605AV & GS108v3

Hi Guys & Gals,

I have cascaded a GS605AV & GS108v3 but only acheiving a speed of 100 mbps between them.What I have done so far :-

1) My set up is ISP modem > GS605AV > GS108v3. I have swapped the positions of the 2 switches.

2) Replaced the cables, they are cat5e 1 metre long but soon to be replaced with cat6.

3) Reconnected to different ports on both switches.

4) Connection speed on all the devices connected is gigabit except between the 2 switches.

Any assistance would be much apreciated.

Model: GS108v3|ProSAFE 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch, GS605AV|5-port Home Theater and Gaming Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Oldboyracer
Tutor

Re: 100 mbps between GS605AV & GS108v3

I thought I would update with my solution to the problem. Firstly I'm an absolute newb when it comes to networking, it being my 1st attempt. I won't bore you with the details of my stumblings I did find an answer probably forced on me by other problems.

My situation - 3 storey house, 3 PC's & a wireless router on top floor, my PC on lower ground, 7 devices & a wireless router (old ISP router) on the ground floor. I purchaced an Asus RT-AC88U as it has 8 LAN ports this does the wireless duties for the ground & lower ground floors (ISP wireless now redundant). I already had an Asus RT-AC66U which will do the wireless duties upstairs. The GS108v3 now serves the 3  PC's upstairs & the GS605AV 3 of my 4 devices in my home theater. All other devices + the 2 switches are connected directly to the RT-AC88U & so far all OK except for a couple of dodgy cables that I have replaced. The ISP's wireless router had a pitiful range so I needed to do something about that anyway, fingers crossed no more problems.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

If tested different port(s), different cables for the link between the two switches (permitting all four pairs are workable), it looks like there is a rare interoperability issue where the link speed negotiation to GbE does not work. As these are unmanaged devices, there is not much the community can help, there is no user installable firmware. Up to Netgear to check this product combination.

For Netgear switches purchased since 1 June 2016, there is a lifetime warranty. In any case, contact Netgear Support on my.netgear.com.

Message 2 of 4
Oldboyracer
Tutor

@schumakuwrote:

If tested different port(s), different cables for the link between the two switches (permitting all four pairs are workable), it looks like there is a rare interoperability issue where the link speed negotiation to GbE does not work. As these are unmanaged devices, there is not much the community can help, there is no user installable firmware. Up to Netgear to check this product combination.

For Netgear switches purchased since 1 June 2016, there is a lifetime warranty. In any case, contact Netgear Support on my.netgear.com.

Thanks for the quick response. I purchased the switches late 2012 or early 2013 just prior to relocating to the Philippines & due to the many problems I had everything sat in storage for 2 years. Up until today they have been running flawlessly for the last 2 years on 2 separate networks but due to problems accessing my NAS I've had to make a single network, hence only finding the problem now. An option would be be to get another switch to cater for all my needs but I'd rather not do that at this time if there is some sort of work around.

The box for the GS108v3 says lifetime warranty but no warranty information for the GS605AV.

As you suggest I will contact Netgear support.

Message 3 of 4
Oldboyracer
Tutor

I thought I would update with my solution to the problem. Firstly I'm an absolute newb when it comes to networking, it being my 1st attempt. I won't bore you with the details of my stumblings I did find an answer probably forced on me by other problems.

My situation - 3 storey house, 3 PC's & a wireless router on top floor, my PC on lower ground, 7 devices & a wireless router (old ISP router) on the ground floor. I purchaced an Asus RT-AC88U as it has 8 LAN ports this does the wireless duties for the ground & lower ground floors (ISP wireless now redundant). I already had an Asus RT-AC66U which will do the wireless duties upstairs. The GS108v3 now serves the 3  PC's upstairs & the GS605AV 3 of my 4 devices in my home theater. All other devices + the 2 switches are connected directly to the RT-AC88U & so far all OK except for a couple of dodgy cables that I have replaced. The ISP's wireless router had a pitiful range so I needed to do something about that anyway, fingers crossed no more problems.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements