× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2x gs116 wont link

usao
Aspirant

2x gs116 wont link

I have 2x GS116 switches.

The first is my primary switch, out of the router.

The second is in my server room, and port 1 is connected with a straight-through cable to the second.

It will not link up, I get no light.

Previously, I had a 8-port switched connected from the server room to the main GS116, and that works fine, but when I tried to expand the port count in the server room with a second GS116, I can't get it to link, no lights, nothing in the server room is able to connect out. All the ports internal to that switch can talk to each other, just can't uplink.

Model: GS116|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 2x gs116 wont link

@usao,

It seems that the new GS116 is faulty.  I suggest that you return it from the store where you bought it and asked for a replacement.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi usao,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the primary GS116 connected to a port on a wall that connects to a port on a wall in the server room where the second GS116 is deployed? Or, are the primary and secondary GS116 switches connected directly to each other?

b. Have you tried changing the ethernet cable connecting the primary and secondary GS116 switches to isolate the problem?

c. Have you tried to swap the primary and secondary GS116 switches in order to isolate the problem? 

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 17
usao
Aspirant

The 2 switches are connected to eachother via a 75ft cable going through the ceiling.

Additionally, I have an 8-port Netgear switch in the server room currently, and it has no trouble connecting using the same wire.

My intention was to expand the available ports to 16 from 8, but can't get it to work.

I then took the second GS116 next to my main GS116 at the router location.

What I see is interesting.

The main Netgear GS116 switfch has both port lights on for the short cable going to the second GS116. However, the second GS116 still shows no other lights other than the power light. No port lights.

When I plug in a Raspberry pi to the second GS116, I get lights on the port for the pi, but the uplink port remains dark, and I have no network connection through that switch.

Message 3 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Some other notes:

1) I know the cable is good as it works currently between the old GS116 and the 8port switch.

2) The new GS116 doesn't work, even when moved next to the old GS116 and directly connected.

3) Regardless of which port on the new switch I try to use for the uplink, it doesn't connect, no port lights and no connectivity.

4) I have not tried switching both the GS116 as that would involve an outage which would be difficult to manage (nfs mounts and iscsi traffic between multiple nodes and a qnap array). Ill see if I can do that in the next few days to see if the new switch can uplink to the router.

Message 4 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Here is a pix of my testing setup.

GS116.jpg

The working GS116 is in back, the new GS116 is up front.

I have a straight through cable connected from the old GS116 to the new GS116 in port 1.

As you can see, no lights on the new GS116, although the old GS116 shows both port lights on.

Computers plugged into the new GS116 can talk to each other, but cannot see anything through the uplink. The internet is not visable and the default router is not seen either.

Thus, my conclusing that the switches cannot uplink.

Looking for suggestions as I need to use this GS116 in the server room as I am out of physical ports on my 8port netgear currently in the server room.

Message 5 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

Kindly try to use a crossover cable between the 2 GS116 switches.  Let us know the results. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Ive ordered a crossover adapter from ebay, will take a week to get here.

However, reading GS116 docs indicate it supports auto uplink.

Auto Uplink™ automatically adjusts for straight-through or crossover cables
Message 7 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

I apologize for this.  I did not mean that you will have to buy a crossover cable.  Smiley Sad  I assumed that you already have a crossover cable or will make a crossover cable out of the typical ethernet cable.  

You are right that the GS116 switch supports Auto Uplink.  However, by the time I have read your reply, I have thought to isolate the problem by using a crossover cable.  That is why I suggested it in order to isolate the problem since swapping the 2 GS116 switches (as I have also suggested) would involve an outage as you have mentioned from your previous reply. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Its no problem, having a crossover adapter is a good idea and something I should have in my tool kit anyhow.

I will try swapping the routers this weekend. I have about 10 machines with either smb/nfs or iscsi. Just need to do it cleanly so as to not cause any host issues.

Message 9 of 17
usao
Aspirant

After connecting the 2x GS116 together with a crossover adapter, it still will not link-light nor send any data to/from the internet.

Message 10 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

It seems that the new GS116 is faulty.  I suggest that you return it from the store where you bought it and asked for a replacement.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Well, further testing showed that the problem is with the ports on the left side of the switch.

I was not able to get any lights from hosts or the uplink on the left side, but the ports on the right side did work.

I contacted the seller on ebay and he agreed to a return.

So, I believe the switch is defective.

Message 13 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

I'm glad that the seller on eBay agreed to a return.  Hope that the replacement switch you will receive will be working fine. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to return the faulty GS116 and get a replacement?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 17
usao
Aspirant

Yes, I was able to return the switch.

However, I located a switch from another vendor.

Message 16 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@usao,

That's alright.  Thanks for the update. 🙂 

Since we have isolated the problem, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements