× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Additional switch breaks network performance/connectivity

williwow
Aspirant

Additional switch breaks network performance/connectivity

Hi Community and Experts!

I have a strange problem: adding an additional switch breaks (totally) network performance.

This is my setup:

* central FTTH router (DHCP server) - connection to the internet
is connected to:
* 8-port unmanaged GB switch from Netgear (my central switch)
connected to that are:
1. HP microserver (running linux/SMB) (GBit-LAN)
2. linux sat receiver (enigma2-box) (GBit-LAN)

This configuration works since the beginning very well. Transfer rates are close to theoretical maximum. On the sat receiver you can do multiple parallel HD-recordings or do an HD-recording and watch another movie in HD (no problem).
To add an additional device (Raspberry Pi running KODI) next to the receiver (Living room) I wanted to add a small 5-Port GBit switch. My first (cheap) device showed the problems I am currently posting. So I replaced this by my trusted brand (Netgear 🙂 i.e. a GS105 but the problems persist: even when only the dreambox is connected to the 5-port switch (so to speak in _thru_ mode) speed slows extremely down and viewing any recordings from the NAS on the sat receiver does not work any more (distortions). All LED indicate GB-speed. Removing the switch removes also the problems. Strange is that the raspi with KODI when also connected does not show any problems (100 MBit).

So the line of devices not working is:

HP microserver --> Netgear 8-Port switch --(wired connection with two plugs/patchpanel in house)--> GS105 --> dreambox-sat-receiver
(everything supporting GBit)

Removing the GS105 and everything is fine,

The symptoms on the dreambox are similar to a very low network performance (recordings long delays, pauses, directory listings take minutes to build up). I first had a look at the SMB-box and optimized samba (so without the GS105 everything is running better than before 🙂 ) but inserting the switch causes the problems described.

Any help appreciated

thanks!
williwow

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi williwow,

I think having a packet capture using Wireshark would help isolate the problem as to why the problem happens only when the GS105v5 is connected but not on the GS108v3.  I suggest that you install Wireshark on your PC(s)/laptop(s) to capture packets.  Kindly download Wireshark from this link.  You may use this link as reference guide on how to use Wireshark.

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support regarding this problem.  Then, attach the captured packets from Wireshark via the online case you have opened for it to be forwarded to the engineering team and be analyzed.

Regards,  

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi williwow,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Let us try to isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the model of the 8-port unmanaged Gigabit NETGEAR switch you used as your central switch?

b. What version is your GS105 switch?

c. Have you tried to reboot the GS105 switch switch while its still connected to the patch panel then check if same problem occurs?

d. Kindly try to swap the  8-port unmanaged Gigabit NETGEAR switch you use as your central switch with the GS105 switch.  Use the GS105 switch as your central switch. Then, connect the 8-port unmanaged Gigabit NETGEAR switch to the patch panel then check if same problem occurs.  Does same problem occur after swapping the switches? 

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
williwow
Aspirant

Hi DaneA

thanks for the suggestions. I will check for the model and do the tests you proposed (exchanging the central 8-port switch ist difficult as all ports are wired, but I have another identical in my home-office which I will use for replacing the 5-port device).

Thanks again and I will follow up with the results and details (it will take maybe 1-2 working days).

Williwow

Message 3 of 8
williwow
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

I made some investigations as suggested and results are:

* 8-port-switch is GS108v3

* 5-port-switch is GS105v5

Transfer tests:

* on both switches I obtain a file transfer speed close to 100 MByte

Problem analysis:

* replacing the problematic GS105 with the GS108 works, so the line of devices_working_ is:

HP microserver --> GS108  --(wired connection with two plugs/patchpanel in house)--> GS108 --> dreambox-sat-receiver WORKS!

* re-substituting the second GS108 (same cables being used) with the GS105 shows again the problems described (not working)

Current workaround is to use the GS105 in my home office (but I am out of ports on this - and hoping there will be no future problems)) and use the GS108 for my dreambox (just 2 ports used thus wasting 6 ports!).

Do you have any suggestions? I don't think the GS105 is broken, but the GS108 does the trick?

thanks!

Williwow

Model: GS105v5|ProSafe 5 ports gigabit switch,GS108v3|ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch
Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi williwow,

Just to verify, you have also tried using another GS105 switch from your home office?  Does same problem occur on the other GS105 switch?

For me, since the GS105 is also an unmanaged switch just like the GS108v3, it should also work.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
williwow
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

no - I am out of switches 🙂

Prior to the GS105 I tried this model from D-Link: DGS-105/E 5-Port Layer2 Gigabit Switch. As this switch showed the problems described I sent it back to the seller and purchased the more expensive Netgear GS105 hoping that it would perform well. Unfortunately the GS105 showed the same problems. I have no other device to test on. It's very strange that the GS108v3 works whereas the GS105v5 in this configuration not.

Now I am using the GS105 in my home office and the GS108v3 connected to the dreambox receiver. Everything is fine, but it is not satisfying that the root cause is still unclear. Maybe the v5 models have a latency problem? The throughput in my home office setting is OK.

Thanks

Williwow

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi williwow,

I think having a packet capture using Wireshark would help isolate the problem as to why the problem happens only when the GS105v5 is connected but not on the GS108v3.  I suggest that you install Wireshark on your PC(s)/laptop(s) to capture packets.  Kindly download Wireshark from this link.  You may use this link as reference guide on how to use Wireshark.

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support regarding this problem.  Then, attach the captured packets from Wireshark via the online case you have opened for it to be forwarded to the engineering team and be analyzed.

Regards,  

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 8
williwow
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Good idea - it will take me some time to do this analysis and forward it to support. For the time being I will close this thread, and thanks for your immediate and good suggestions! (Basically the idea of swapping the switches kept me going again).

thanks

Williwow

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements