× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Basic Switches (Cheapest ones) Are they Fail Open switches?

divenom
Follower

Basic Switches (Cheapest ones) Are they Fail Open switches?

We know that Mac flooding was an old practice. Is it still common? I mean does these cheapest switches which are mostly used in SOHO startups in india vulerable to MAC flooding attack. 
or
In simple terms do they fail open or fail safe?

(If someone could point me to official documentation, I checked but did not find it myself. May be I missed reading some part)

Has someone succesfully tried mac flooding in FS208 model? 

Model: FS208|8-port 10/100 FastEthernet Switch, FS208v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi divenom,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I've checked that there are no issues yet about MAC flodding on the FS208 switch.  The FS208 switch is an unmanaged switch.  Its main purpose is just to extend the local network if you need additional ports to connect more devices such as PCs, printers, etc.

A way to prevent MAC flooding is to configure Port Security.  Port Security is a feature wherein you can lock one or more ports.  When a port is locked, only packets with an allowable source MAC addresses can be forwarded and all other packets are discarded.  

I recommend you the GS108Tv2 smart switch that supports Port Security.  Kindly check its specifications on its data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi divenom,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I've checked that there are no issues yet about MAC flodding on the FS208 switch.  The FS208 switch is an unmanaged switch.  Its main purpose is just to extend the local network if you need additional ports to connect more devices such as PCs, printers, etc.

A way to prevent MAC flooding is to configure Port Security.  Port Security is a feature wherein you can lock one or more ports.  When a port is locked, only packets with an allowable source MAC addresses can be forwarded and all other packets are discarded.  

I recommend you the GS108Tv2 smart switch that supports Port Security.  Kindly check its specifications on its data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@divenom,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

If ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements