× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can FS116 be PoE compatible?

bmfaz123
Aspirant

Can FS116 be PoE compatible?

I am trying to connect a phone system that uses power over ethernet (PoE) but I have found out the the switch I use (FS116) does not have PoE. It says N/A on the data sheet. Is there a way to add PoE capabilities to the FS116 model? Is there some kind of adaptor I can use on my current switch? Or do I need to just buy a model that is already capable of using PoE? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can FS116 be PoE compatible?

For just a few phones, some PoE-standard matching power injectors (one by phone) might be considered.

From a certain number of phones you should consider a PoE(+) capable switch, with at least some Gigabit-based uplinks, and ideally some QoS and VLAN capabilities..

Depends on the number of phones, the other usage of the same switch, I would be concerned to reach it's limits (especially on the router/Internet facing direction for voice, and on the LAN for some heavier data usage like a "simple" regular backup to a NAS).

Hard to provide a better answer without more insight.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

For just a few phones, some PoE-standard matching power injectors (one by phone) might be considered.

From a certain number of phones you should consider a PoE(+) capable switch, with at least some Gigabit-based uplinks, and ideally some QoS and VLAN capabilities..

Depends on the number of phones, the other usage of the same switch, I would be concerned to reach it's limits (especially on the router/Internet facing direction for voice, and on the LAN for some heavier data usage like a "simple" regular backup to a NAS).

Hard to provide a better answer without more insight.

Message 2 of 4
bmfaz123
Aspirant

I will only be connecting two phones (handsets) to the base station that needs PoE. To use a power injector, does it have to be connected to my switch along with the outlet? Or would the phone system work if I plugged the power injector into the outlet and then the phone system into the PoE port. I would like to avoid buying a whole new switch if at all possible. If I decided to use the power injector for a network of one base station and two phones would I need a very powerful one? Or, for my purposes, can I just use a cheaper, lower capacity injector.  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The power injector must match to the PoE technology and power required by your phone vendor. Consult the VoIP phone documentation FMI!

Obviously, each power injector needs it's own power supply.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements