× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I get 10gigbit between my PC and NAS with this switch?

Tobarus
Aspirant

Can I get 10gigbit between my PC and NAS with this switch?

Hi there,

I'm very intersted in purchasing the GS110MX-100NAS switch (unmanaged - I'm very new and don't need these features for home (wife and I)).

Simply put, I'll be connecting a 10gigbit NAS (QNAP) and my PC (10gigabit) to this switch (I'll be connecting the route/internet via gigabit).

Can anyone please confirm whether or not I'll get 10gigbit speeds with the above setup?  (ie - connect the NAS and PC to the only 2 10gigbit ports).  I basically want fast access to media while editing on my PC workstation (the amount of data is massive).

Many thanks for the insight!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I get 10gigbit between my PC and NAS with this switch?

Hi Tobarus,

Definetly you will get fastest speeds if you use 10Gbps connnectivity instead of 1Gbps. However you also have to take in consideration the hard drives that you are using to be able to achieve the 10Gbps :

if you are runnnig SSD definetly you will be really close to 10Gbps but if you are running HDD the transfer speed will be limited by the type of RAID that you have configured on your NAS. However maybe you will not be able to get 10Gbps speed you definetly will notice and improvement on the transfer speed between your NAS and PC.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Tobarus,

Definetly you will get fastest speeds if you use 10Gbps connnectivity instead of 1Gbps. However you also have to take in consideration the hard drives that you are using to be able to achieve the 10Gbps :

if you are runnnig SSD definetly you will be really close to 10Gbps but if you are running HDD the transfer speed will be limited by the type of RAID that you have configured on your NAS. However maybe you will not be able to get 10Gbps speed you definetly will notice and improvement on the transfer speed between your NAS and PC.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 4
Tobarus
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer Xavier,

I think you've pretty much answered my question.  Yes, the PC and NAS are up to the task, but i guess I wasn't exact enough with my question.  I'll basically be using the NAS and PC for video editing, etc (the NAS is obviously the storage portion), with huge amounts of data being transfered.

Basically, assuming a setup where the internet/router is only connected to a gigabit port, however, the NAS and PC are both connected to the only two 10 gigabit ports available, assuming the NAS and PC are up to the task, they connection between the NAS and PC should theoretically be at 10 gigabit speeds, correct (ie - the internet/router is completely segregated from all of this).

Basically, I'm looking for the fastest possible speed between the PC and NAS specifically (everything else does not matter).  ie - I'm looking for 10 gigabit speeds (of course as you said, assuming all the other components are up to the task - but specifically looking at only the switch's perspective).

On a side note, the product states two 10 gigabit "upload" ports.  When referring to "upload", netgear means the two ports upload and download data at 10gigabit, not just upload, correct?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Netgear marketing and some docs talk of uplink ports, indeed. Of course, these are just normal general 10 GbE/MultiGig ports. When you have an eye on the GS110MX Installation Guide (the link on the netgear.com support site is currently broken), you find an the example that the 10 GbE pots can be used for both uplink (to another 10 GbE "core" switch) as well as to connect NAS or a workstation equivalently.

Aside, what QNAP NAS model and config is in the play, and what 10 GbE interface is installed on your workstation?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements