× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Get Insight App to Launch

hfarrell
Aspirant

Can't Get Insight App to Launch

I recently bought a GS608 switch and installed the Insight App.  I already had a Netgear account and used those credentials to log in.  (These credentials work fine on the Nighthawk app and this website.)  The Insight app appears to log me in, but then says "SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS:  An error occured while retrieving the subscription details.  Try again."  The two options are Retry or Log Out.  When I click Retry, I just keep getting the same error message.  Log Out just logs me out of the app.

Does anyone have a solution for this?  I would prefer not to set up a whole new account as a workaround.  Thank you!

Model: GS608v2|Desktop Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Fear you are right on the spot....

@hfarrell wrote:

So it sounds like you are saying the Insight App is not useful for my setup.  I have a Nighthawk router, an unmanaged switch and an older NetGear router running as a WAP.  I thought the Insight App would help me monitor those somehow.  Are you saying it won't do that?

From the 5-Port and 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch Model GS605v5 and GS608v4 Installation Guide :

"Note: Because this is an unmanaged switch, you cannot configure or manage it in NETGEAR Insight."

By rule of thumb and out of the wally brain (we're heavy Insight and Insight Pro users for home and several larger home networks and venues): The Insight App can discover Smart Managed Plus, business WAC7xx, and discover and manage Insight switches, Insight WAC, some Cloud enabled switches, ReadyNAS OS 6 systems, and Insight routers.  Further on, it is able to list registered devices like Nighthawk routers, unmanaged switches, wireless extenders, or even Smart Managed Pro switches - based on the registration database - but without any functionality.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

For simplicity, you don't have to use the Insight App for the product registration (even if this is suggested in the installation guide, even if this does "immediately" and apparently register the device when it's set-up (that's something Netgear desires) in a convenient way. Correction: It's not even convenient for doing the registration of a non-managed switch in the App - it can't be discovered on the network, the serial number can't be fetched from the device.  

Head to https://my.netgear.com and register your new switch there - handy, in a Web browser you have on your mobile or computer anyway.

No idea what is riding Netgear with this idea to push the Insight App (a nice management environment for small businesses!!!) to the wide market. 

@YeZ can you have the team figure out what is going wrong for this customer with the Insight App when there are no Insight managed devices?

Message 2 of 8
hfarrell
Aspirant

So it sounds like you are saying the Insight App is not useful for my setup.  I have a Nighthawk router, an unmanaged switch and an older NetGear router running as a WAP.  I thought the Insight App would help me monitor those somehow.  Are you saying it won't do that?  If so, why the heck does Netgear include a glossy insert promoting the Insight App in its box for the unmanaged switch?  What a colossal waste of the customer's time!

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Fear you are right on the spot....

@hfarrell wrote:

So it sounds like you are saying the Insight App is not useful for my setup.  I have a Nighthawk router, an unmanaged switch and an older NetGear router running as a WAP.  I thought the Insight App would help me monitor those somehow.  Are you saying it won't do that?

From the 5-Port and 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch Model GS605v5 and GS608v4 Installation Guide :

"Note: Because this is an unmanaged switch, you cannot configure or manage it in NETGEAR Insight."

By rule of thumb and out of the wally brain (we're heavy Insight and Insight Pro users for home and several larger home networks and venues): The Insight App can discover Smart Managed Plus, business WAC7xx, and discover and manage Insight switches, Insight WAC, some Cloud enabled switches, ReadyNAS OS 6 systems, and Insight routers.  Further on, it is able to list registered devices like Nighthawk routers, unmanaged switches, wireless extenders, or even Smart Managed Pro switches - based on the registration database - but without any functionality.

Message 4 of 8
hfarrell
Aspirant

Sigh.  Okay, I am giving up on the App unless I buy any of that other stuff.  Netgear should seriously consider not including the Insight App promotional insert in boxes for unmanaged switches.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful and quick responses.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Glad it helped - even if it did not solve the effective Insight App (or Insight/Netgear cloud) issue. That's something Netgear should look into @YeZ please.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Update: In the Insight App, click on the Hamburger menu, to find "Register Any Netgear Device" - use this to register non-Insight devices. 

Netgear will change the behaviour of the "+" menu - which is intended to add Insight manageable devices currently - to allow non-Insight product registrations.

Message 7 of 8
hfarrell
Aspirant

When I try to log in, it won't let me into the main part of the app.   A popup menu says  "An error occurred while retrieving the subscription details.  Try again."  The options are Retry or Log Out.  If I click Retry, the same popup just keeps coming back.  If I click Log Out, I'm logged out.

So, I have no way of clicking the hamburger menu.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements