× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get gs108 to work on both wifi and LAN

josemose
Follower

Can't get gs108 to work on both wifi and LAN

My house is prewired for a home network so I bought a prosafe GS108 switch and a netgear gigabit CM700 modem. I connected everything as advertised in the box. Modem to switch and switch to prewired CAT6 ethernet cables throughout the house. When I set up my router everthingworks fine wirelessly, can connect all my devices with no problem to my router and its ethernet ports. On the other end, all my other network ports throughout the house have no internet. My Mac displays a "self-assigned IP" on all ports.

When I switch to the other way around, LAN First, the router wont connect. It's either one or the other.

I checked all cables, and they work properly. Checked all devices and work properly. Checked all hardware and works properly (other than switch).

I am not the most proficient person on home networks but I'll do my homework if needed. Can someone help me understand my problem. Thanks.  

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Can't get gs108 to work on both wifi and LAN

Hi @josemose

When is comes to wiring throughout the house, one common problem is something called Auto MDI/MDIX. I have explained here, in a thread similar to yours:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/GS116-Warranty/m-p/1346459#M2078

Your issue is very likely because of this.

Also, the way to setup the network is:
"Internet connection" <--> Modem <--> Switch <--> LAN throughout the house.

But please have a read at the above thread. It think this will solve it for you.

Cheers 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Can't get gs108 to work on both wifi and LAN

Hi @josemose

When is comes to wiring throughout the house, one common problem is something called Auto MDI/MDIX. I have explained here, in a thread similar to yours:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/GS116-Warranty/m-p/1346459#M2078

Your issue is very likely because of this.

Also, the way to setup the network is:
"Internet connection" <--> Modem <--> Switch <--> LAN throughout the house.

But please have a read at the above thread. It think this will solve it for you.

Cheers 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements