× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connectivity of a gigaswitch and an Access Point

PeterJWag
Aspirant

Connectivity of a gigaswitch and an Access Point

Good Afternoon,

I have connected the gigaswitch to the router, to increase the number of ports available for connecting devices.

I have just discovered Access Points and want to use an AC21200 Mbps v2 in a part of the house that the router can barely cover wirelessly.

In the room where the AP would be is a Virgin Media V6 TV box. I have some questions about how to best connect this lot together.

1. If I connect the AP to the gigaswitch, rather than directly into the router, will there be a degradation in the wireless bandwith?
  2. If I connect the V6 box to the AP, rather than the gigaswitch, will there be a degradation in the broadband signal that will inhibit performance of the box?

All the connections mentioned above would be CAT7 ethernet cables.

Model: GS308|8-port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

For really pushing things to the top, two Ethernet cables would be great, one for the WAC, one for the STB.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@PeterJWag wrote:

I have just discovered Access Points and want to use an AC21200 Mbps v2 in a part of the house that the router can barely cover wirelessly.

Good plan in general. Whatever a "AC21200 Mbps v2" is. Any better description, make, model?

@PeterJWag wrote:

In the room where the AP would be is a Virgin Media V6 TV box. I have some questions about how to best connect this lot together.

1. If I connect the AP to the gigaswitch, rather than directly into the router, will there be a degradation in the wireless bandwith?

Assuming this is an AC2100 system, so 300 Mbit link rate on 2.4 GHz and 1.76 Gb link rate on 5 GHz, you can calculate with some average real-world data rates of 150...170 Mbit on 2.4 GHz and some 500...600 Mbit for 5 GHz. Still plenty of bandwidth for FullHD and 4K streams on wired.

@PeterJWag wrote:
  1. ...
  2. If I connect the V6 box to the AP, rather than the gigaswitch, will there be a degradation in the broadband signal that will inhibit performance of the box?

To the AP by wireless seems to be prohibitive (they talk of Ethernet or Powerline in the marketing stuff. No idea about the AP you have in mind, are there spare GbE port(s)?

Message 2 of 8
PeterJWag
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku,

The Access Point is a Netgear AC1200 Mbps v2, if you can put that into the context of the information you sent me, it would be really useful.

Thanks.

Model: DS116|16-port 10/100 Mbps Dual Speed Hub|EOL, GS308|8-port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Still not a model number there are many "AC1200" class devices - WAC104 (no v2)? WAC120 (no v2)? EX6150 v2? Or any router with optional AP mode like R6xxx? 

The WAC120 or the EX listed have only one GbE port, the WAC104 has for GbE ports. The Nighthawk routers - some only allow using one port for GbE uplink, other have poolry performing GbE "swith" ports (in fact software bridges and lack of hardware acceleration support).

Message 4 of 8
PeterJWag
Aspirant

Netgear AC1200 Mbps v2.png

Hi Schumaku,

This is the unit in question.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

That's the WAC104, already mentioned above.

Message 6 of 8
PeterJWag
Aspirant

Thanks Schumaku. Do I understand you correctly, then, that the ethernet ports on the WAC104 are not good enough to support fast connection for the TV box> Also, am I right in understanding that the WAC104 is better connected directly to the router than the gigabit sitch? 

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

For really pushing things to the top, two Ethernet cables would be great, one for the WAC, one for the STB.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements