× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 Switch Uplink Speed Drops from 1000 to 100 Mbps

grossner
Aspirant

GS108 Switch Uplink Speed Drops from 1000 to 100 Mbps

I have a GS108 that initially negotiates at 1000 Mbps with my ASUS RT-AC68W, but after ~30 min to a few hours drops down to 100 Mbps. I can see this on the router's status screen (vis web interface) and I notice the difference with transfering files from one computer to another (which is how I found the issue to begin with).

I have tried a few things to try to narrow it down.

1. I switched ethernet cables from one cat 5e to another. Same problem.
  2. I tried a different port on the router. Same problem.
  3. I tried a different port on the switch. Same problem.

Just a note, every time I tried any of these, the uplink connection went back to gigabit for a time, then dropped down to 100 Mbps. Other gigabit devices connected to the switch and the router are working fine--it is only the link between the switch and router that slows down.

Does this indicate the switch is failing? I've had it for about 10 years now. Or perhaps there is something else I should try?

Thanks.

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108 Switch Uplink Speed Drops from 1000 to 100 Mbps

Hi @grossner,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If ever the ASUS RT-AC68W router is not yet on the latest firmware version, I suggest you to upgrade its firmware to the latest version then perform a factory reset and reconfigure the settings from scratch.  Afterwards, check if the same problem still occurs.  

If the same problem still occurs, if ever you have a spare switch, disconnect the GS108 switch from the existing network then connect your spare switch and monitor if the same problem occurs.  If the same problem occurs, then you need to ask assistance from Asus regarding the router.  Otherwise, if the problem is gone using the spare switch, I suggest you to replace the GS108.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @grossner,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If ever the ASUS RT-AC68W router is not yet on the latest firmware version, I suggest you to upgrade its firmware to the latest version then perform a factory reset and reconfigure the settings from scratch.  Afterwards, check if the same problem still occurs.  

If the same problem still occurs, if ever you have a spare switch, disconnect the GS108 switch from the existing network then connect your spare switch and monitor if the same problem occurs.  If the same problem occurs, then you need to ask assistance from Asus regarding the router.  Otherwise, if the problem is gone using the spare switch, I suggest you to replace the GS108.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
grossner
Aspirant

It turns out the switch wad bad, a different switch has not had this issue.  I will RMA the old one.  Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @grossner,

You're welcome! 🙂  

Since your concern has been addressed, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements