× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108 switch ports don't appear to be working

KRas4
Aspirant

GS108 switch ports don't appear to be working

I have a GS108 switch that doesn't appear to be working correctly anymore. My current setup is this.

Internet (Xfinity) to Modem

Modem (Surfboard 6121) to Switch

Switch to vaious ports in the house.

My problem is that of the 5 ethernet wall jacks in my house, only one will actually allow traffic through it. All the ports are wired the same way with Cat 6 cable with the T568B standard on both ends. I have one running to my router which is giving off a signal and running to a couple of other computers, hard wired, and no issues. If I go to the other ports in the house and plug in either of my laptops (one on Win 7 one on Win10), my Roku 3, or a OnHub router, none of them are able to connect to the internet. The computers state that I don't have the correct protocol installed on my laptops. The Roku and OnHub just state no connection. At one point I had this same setup in a different house. Still had cable internet and all of the same devices and I had no issues with the ports.

In using a network tester, the results came back as Port: Auto. Which in doing some searching and figuring out, it looks like that means Auto MDI-X. The only one that didn't come back as that, is the one my router is hooked up to and that shows as Port: Lan. 

I'm curious if anyone out there has any thoughts or ideas or has run into this themselves before. I've been struggling to find a solution for this. I've setup a few of these switches in friends and family's homes without issues. Both on DSL and cable setups. The only factor that I can come up with is that I have Cat6 cable where as they are on 5e.

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello KRas4, 

The GS108 is only a pass-through switch (pure hardware) and is not involved in giving away IP addresses. For your setup, the router is the main source of communication on the LAN (we'll take away the GS108 as a part of the networking equipment and consider it as a client). What you can do to isolate the issue are the following: 

1. Verify the connection again Modem>Router>Wall Jack. 
  2. Take note that the Modem is responsible for the internet connection, the Router is responsible for translating the internet connection going to the LAN and providing client devices DHCP IP addresses. 
  3. Make sure that every port on the router is working fine, verify this by checking if each device plugged into the ports gets an IP address. 
  4. If this is verified, we'll eliminate the router as an issue here. 
  5. Now, you have 5 wall jacks. (Question here, are these 5 separate wall jacks end-to-end or are they on a patch panel?)
  6. If they are separate wall jacks, they all need to be plugged into the router. 
  7. If they are on a patch panel, check each end of the wall jack if you can get an IP address. 
  8. If you can get an IP on only one end of the wall jacks this will mean that your router does not give enough IP addresses or there is something wrong with the patch panel. 

The GS108 switch only relies to your router, imagine it as just additional ports and does not have the capability to give out IP addresses. Make sure that the wall jack where you plug in the GS108 can give you a connection and an IP. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kras4,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let's isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below: 

a. Is the Surfboard 6121 a modem-only device or a combination of modem-router?

b. What is the behavior of the port LED lights on the GS108 switch?

c. Disconnect the GS108 switch from the Surfboard 6121 then connect a PC/laptop directly to the Surfboard 6121, are you able to go online just fine?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
KRas4
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see that I had anything so sorry for the late reply. The answers to your questions:

A. Just a modem

B. The port that has the cable from the modem to the switch and the one switch port that is working on the other end, are both blinking (both ports and both lights on each port)

C. Yes I am able to get online just fine.

I also just did another network test on all of my ports yesterday. Each port is now showing as Auto (meaning Auto MDIX). So in my above mention where I sstate that I have a router working, that port is auto. However if I move that router that works on that port to a different port in my house, it no longer works.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KRas4,

Since the GS108 switch is directly connected to the modem, I recommend that you should have a router in between the modem and the GS108 switch.  It is because the router will provide private IP addresses to your networking devices so that you can access the internet at the same time.  

You already mentioned on your initial post that you have a router wherein it is connected to 1 of the 5 ethernet wall jacks in your house and the devices connected to it can go online just fine.  Also, does the 5 ethernet wall jacks connected to one patch panel?  If yes, then it would be best that you to connect that router directly to the modem.  Then, connect that patch panel to the router so that you if you will conenct any device to any of the 5 ethernet wall jacks, you will be able to go online just fine.  You amy aslo conenct the GS108 to one of the ethernet wall jacks to extend your local network giving you extra ports so that you can connect more devices.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
KRas4
Aspirant

So my initial setup was what you have suggested.

Modem to router

Router to wall jack

other end of wall jack into the switch

In this setup I still had the same issues as I posted in my initial question/comment. So that setup didn't seem to mitigate any issues so I attempted my current setup (as posted above) based on another recommendation. 

Message 5 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello KRas4, 

The GS108 is only a pass-through switch (pure hardware) and is not involved in giving away IP addresses. For your setup, the router is the main source of communication on the LAN (we'll take away the GS108 as a part of the networking equipment and consider it as a client). What you can do to isolate the issue are the following: 

1. Verify the connection again Modem>Router>Wall Jack. 
  2. Take note that the Modem is responsible for the internet connection, the Router is responsible for translating the internet connection going to the LAN and providing client devices DHCP IP addresses. 
  3. Make sure that every port on the router is working fine, verify this by checking if each device plugged into the ports gets an IP address. 
  4. If this is verified, we'll eliminate the router as an issue here. 
  5. Now, you have 5 wall jacks. (Question here, are these 5 separate wall jacks end-to-end or are they on a patch panel?)
  6. If they are separate wall jacks, they all need to be plugged into the router. 
  7. If they are on a patch panel, check each end of the wall jack if you can get an IP address. 
  8. If you can get an IP on only one end of the wall jacks this will mean that your router does not give enough IP addresses or there is something wrong with the patch panel. 

The GS108 switch only relies to your router, imagine it as just additional ports and does not have the capability to give out IP addresses. Make sure that the wall jack where you plug in the GS108 can give you a connection and an IP. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 8
KRas4
Aspirant

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. 

I was able to verify up to # 4.

For #5, they are all seperate as of right now (no patch panel). So maybe that is my issue. I have used this same setup in 2 other houses and have had no issues connecting to any ports. Same set up as in modem to switch to ports/router. So not sure what is exactly going on here. Maybe the other setups are flukey and somehow working? Not really sure.

Either way I've actually since purchased a second router for my home. I am now going modem to new router. Router to switch. Switch to devices and a wall jack. The other end of that wall jack to my secondary router. The built in switch on that router to the other wall jacks in the house and that all seems to be working out just fine so far.

Message 7 of 8
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

KRas4,

You can have this configuration work if your ISP provides you more than 1 public IP address. If not then you will need a NAT device(router) to be used to segregate your WAN(ISP) to your LAN(GS108) device. The question I would have is what IP address does the 1 PC get in the network? This will tell us right away if a router is required for this configuration.

JohnRo is correct in the troubleshooting as requested it is also possible that the patch panels could be set up incorrectly. The one machine that did get connected would help you troubleshoot this further as you can go from panel to panel to check connectivity.

Let us know the outcome, 

AlexPe

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements