× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS205 will not connect to 100MB connection

retrotecchie
Aspirant

GS205 will not connect to 100MB connection

Help!

I have a 100MB/sec network connection (Cat 5) to the office coming from my BT Home Hub router.

I know its is a 100MB/sec connection and I'm perfectly happy with that...I really don't need huge internet speeds as my maximum speed out here in the middle of nowhere is only 3Mb/sec (I'm some 5 miles from the fibre cabinet and lucky to get any internet at all!).

I have three computers that I need to link together, all of which have Gigabit Ethernet adapters and all of which see each other quite happily when connected to the GS205 switch. No worries.

If I connect the 100MB/sec cable from my router into the switch, I don't get a solid connection light on the port...perhaps one short flash or two every minute or so. If I plug the cable directly into any of the computers individually, I get a rock-solid connection at the expected 100MB/sec with no problems whatsoever. I have tested the cable and it is certified for 100MB/sec. 

The GS205 just seems to completely ignore the connection. Running a new CAT5e or CAT6 cable is just not an option and not really necessary due to the internet maximum speed. I just need the Gigabit connection between the three computers themselves and the slower internet connection on two of them (email and web browsing). Why does this switch not see the 100MB/sec connection when all three computers and my BT Home hub support this speed with no problem at all?

Model: GS205v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
retrotecchie
Aspirant

Re: GS205 will not connect to 100MB connection

It's not the network cards. All the PC's connect to the switch happily at 1GB/sec. It's the link between the switch and the router that is the problem. I have temporarily changed the cable and can now connect at 100MB/sec so I'm guessing it's a cable issue, but I find it strange that all my PC's can negotiate 100MB/sec on that cable happily but the switch can't.

I cannot force the router to use a 100Mb/sec connection (there are no settings in the firmware to do that - the ports simply autonegotiate) and it's looking like I will need to change the cable as the temporary one I am using works fine. The original cable is buried in the walls of the house which is why I wanted to use it rather than run a new one.

Anyway, the problem is sort of solved in that the switch is doing what I need it to now, even if I will need to do a recabling job. Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @retrotecchie,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Kindly try to set the Speed and Duplex Mode of your computers to 100Mbps Full Duplex then check if the same problem will occur.  Rebooting the computer might be necessary.   As reference, kindly access the link below:

https://www.home-network-help.com/speed-and-duplex.html

If ever the same problem occurs, I suggest you to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime for further technical assistance.  If ever the GS205 switch is declared faulty, be ready to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS205 switch for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
retrotecchie
Aspirant

It's not the network cards. All the PC's connect to the switch happily at 1GB/sec. It's the link between the switch and the router that is the problem. I have temporarily changed the cable and can now connect at 100MB/sec so I'm guessing it's a cable issue, but I find it strange that all my PC's can negotiate 100MB/sec on that cable happily but the switch can't.

I cannot force the router to use a 100Mb/sec connection (there are no settings in the firmware to do that - the ports simply autonegotiate) and it's looking like I will need to change the cable as the temporary one I am using works fine. The original cable is buried in the walls of the house which is why I wanted to use it rather than run a new one.

Anyway, the problem is sort of solved in that the switch is doing what I need it to now, even if I will need to do a recabling job. Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements