× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS208 Switch not working?

Argonian
Aspirant

GS208 Switch not working?

I just got the GS208.

Connected it to my router, which is connected to the modem and it just doesn't seem to work properly.

It only works on my PC.

I have 2 other Wifi Extenders and 2 more routers I'm trying to connect to but it doesn't work.

I checked all the ports, they work but they only work with my PC. 

Cables are fine are they all work when connected to the modem.

So what's the issue here and how do I fix this?  

Model: GS208v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS208 Switch not working?

Hi @Argonian,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I just got the GS208.

Connected it to my router, which is connected to the modem and it just doesn't seem to work properly.

It only works on my PC.

I believe this is your setup: modem--router--GS208--PC. Since it works on your PC, it means that the PC is able to get a valid IP address from the router.

I have 2 other Wifi Extenders and 2 more routers I'm trying to connect to but it doesn't work.

On this setup: modem--router--GS208--WiFi Extenders, are the WiFi Extenders able to get a valid IP address from the router?  If not, try to set a static IP address on the WiFi Extenders that is within the IP Address range of the router.  Then, check if you are able to connect to the wireless network and go online wirelessly.  

You may want to try to open command prompt on your PC then check if you will be able to get replies when you ping the static IP address set on the WiFi Extenders as well as the IP address of the router.  

Are your WiFi Extenders also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model number of it and its current firmware version? 

You also mentioned that you have 2 more routers that you want to connect with the GS208.  The setup will be modem--router--GS208--router, this is not recommended because you will have a Double NAT scenario.  Kindly access and read the article below about Double NAT scenario:

What is Double NAT?

Are the 2 other routers you have also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model number of it and its current firmware version? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Argonian,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I just got the GS208.

It only works on my PC.

I believe this is your setup: modem--router--GS208--PC. Since it works on your PC, it means that the PC is able to get a valid IP address from the router.

On this setup: modem--router--GS208--WiFi Extenders, are the WiFi Extenders able to get a valid IP address from the router?  If not, try to set a static IP address on the WiFi Extenders that is within the IP Address range of the router.  Then, check if you are able to connect to the wireless network and go online wirelessly.  

You may want to try to open command prompt on your PC then check if you will be able to get replies when you ping the static IP address set on the WiFi Extenders as well as the IP address of the router.  

Are your WiFi Extenders also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model number of it and its current firmware version? 

You also mentioned that you have 2 more routers that you want to connect with the GS208.  The setup will be modem--router--GS208--router, this is not recommended because you will have a Double NAT scenario.  Kindly access and read the article below about Double NAT scenario:

What is Double NAT?

Are the 2 other routers you have also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model number of it and its current firmware version? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Argonian
Aspirant

Thank worked. Thanks a lot. 

Also, changed the old modems to Wireless Extenders.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements