× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS305v3 CONSTANTLY needs to be rebooted

bogut319
Aspirant

GS305v3 CONSTANTLY needs to be rebooted

I work at a mechanics shop and we have contant issues with having to reset only one switch on the network at least once a day.  This switch has a computer running Windows 10 Pro and 2 HP Laserjet printers connected to it.  Plus the connection to the router.  For years we used this setup without issue.  Only within the past year or so have we had this issue regularly.  We originally had a Netgear GS105v5 setup, it worked great for years, as I said, but when it started needing to be rebooted about once a day I figured the switch had finally had its day. I ordered a replacement GS105v5 and the problem continued.  Unfortunately, it got put on the back burner for a few months when we were extermely busy, and seeing as it only took about 15 seconds to unplug and reboot the switch it wasn't a high priority.  Of course, because I waited I was unable to return the switch to Amazon anymore (90 days).  So I decided to purchase the GS305v3 as replacement, hoping it would fix the issue.  For the first day it worked great, no need to be rebooted.  That lasted one day though.  Since then (about a week ago) it has needed to be rebooted daily just like the other 2 switches.  Please advise.  Why would we be having this issue on 3 seperate switches?

Model: GS105v5|ProSafe 5 ports gigabit switch, GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
jec956613
Tutor

Well it's really simple: something plugged into it is behaving badly.  Either one of the printers, the PC, the router uplink, or there's a power issue caused by a voltage drop.  This is one of those cases where a smart switch would tell you almost imediately where the problem is - either there'd be way too many packets on one port, tons of packet errors, or similar, or in the case of power troubles, there'd be nothing.

When during the day does it need to be rebooted?  If the shop is not being used (e.g. weekend) does it still need to be rebooted?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
jec956613
Tutor

Well it's really simple: something plugged into it is behaving badly.  Either one of the printers, the PC, the router uplink, or there's a power issue caused by a voltage drop.  This is one of those cases where a smart switch would tell you almost imediately where the problem is - either there'd be way too many packets on one port, tons of packet errors, or similar, or in the case of power troubles, there'd be nothing.

When during the day does it need to be rebooted?  If the shop is not being used (e.g. weekend) does it still need to be rebooted?

Message 2 of 3
bogut319
Aspirant

Ok, I have purchased a smart switch and I will be returning the unmanaged switch.  Hopefully I can find our issue.  Thank you for your help.  I will keep you posted.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements