× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS305v3 switch - Intermittently disconnects the connection, and slow speed.

Mike_test
Aspirant

GS305v3 switch - Intermittently disconnects the connection, and slow speed.

Hi to all, I bought the GS305v3 Gigabit unmanaged switch in order to replace my 100Mbps fast ethernet 3com switch. I have install it on the same network but I have two different problems. I have a Cisco Gbit router -> 25 meters ethernet cat5e 350MHz -> switch-> 1 pc connected. 

1.  While I play online games I have some disconnection for 5-10 seconds in irregular times. I couldn't find when and why is this happens. It could be once or twice in an hour or once in 3 hours. I run the 
jperf speed test and I get speeds of 95Mbps so it seems that the cable can't tolerate higher speeds, but a dont understand the disconnections. If I get back to my 100Mbps switch I have no disconnections.

2. I have connected 2 
Pc's with Gigabit ethernet cards alone with cat6 cable and I copy a 3Gb file from 1 pc to the other. The copy go up to 113Mb transfer but after around 1/3 of the file the copy speed drops to 20Mb.

Any idea why might be wrong appart from the netgear switch?

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Mike_test wrote:

1.  I run the jperf speed test and I get speeds of 95Mbps so it seems that the cable can't tolerate higher speeds, but a dont understand the disconnections. If I get back to my 100Mbps switch I have no disconnections.

This stinks (sorry my simple words). Gigabit Ethernet does work on a much higher frequencies than Fast Ethernet, and at about the double bandwidth. Assuming you talk of a jperf test between the two computers (one on the Cisco router LAN, on on the Netgear switch) and the traffic does travel this poor link. Clearly a cabling issue - not compatible for Gigbit Ethernet.

@Mike_test wrote:

2. I have connected 2 Pc's with Gigabit ethernet cards alone with cat6 cable and I copy a 3Gb file from 1 pc to the other. The copy go up to 113Mb transfer but after around 1/3 of the file the copy speed drops to 20Mb.

This can have different causes. The link issue described above can have a big impact, potentially repeated re-negotiation or at least massive errors on the GbE link. Another point is that computers can and will do some read- and write-caching from the mass storage - form a certain point (as there is typically no full SSD cache) the data is read and written from/to the effective storage media.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Mike_test wrote:

1.  I run the jperf speed test and I get speeds of 95Mbps so it seems that the cable can't tolerate higher speeds, but a dont understand the disconnections. If I get back to my 100Mbps switch I have no disconnections.

This stinks (sorry my simple words). Gigabit Ethernet does work on a much higher frequencies than Fast Ethernet, and at about the double bandwidth. Assuming you talk of a jperf test between the two computers (one on the Cisco router LAN, on on the Netgear switch) and the traffic does travel this poor link. Clearly a cabling issue - not compatible for Gigbit Ethernet.

@Mike_test wrote:

2. I have connected 2 Pc's with Gigabit ethernet cards alone with cat6 cable and I copy a 3Gb file from 1 pc to the other. The copy go up to 113Mb transfer but after around 1/3 of the file the copy speed drops to 20Mb.

This can have different causes. The link issue described above can have a big impact, potentially repeated re-negotiation or at least massive errors on the GbE link. Another point is that computers can and will do some read- and write-caching from the mass storage - form a certain point (as there is typically no full SSD cache) the data is read and written from/to the effective storage media.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not sure why you're getting the disconnects with the game. You could open a support ticket with netgear. These switches do have a 3 year warranty and 90 days of free support from netgear. 

in terms of your speeds, are you sure its mbps and not MBps? Mbps stands for Megabits per second, while MBps stands for Megabytes per second. 113 MBps is 904 mbps. which would be equivelant of your gigabit connection. A lot of time you can transfer at full speed until you've saturated your cache and then it drops to the speeds of your hard drive or ssd. 

You put that jperf won't get you past 95mbps but a file transfer will hit 113mbps.  So just wanting to make sure you're looking at it correctly. 

Message 3 of 6
Mike_test
Aspirant

Solved!!! So I setup an ideal connection both Pc's on short Cat6 to switch and short Cat6 from switch to router. "Pc1 and Pc2->2m Cat6->Netgear switch->2m Cat6->Router". Jperf was perfect but copy was not. Still droping after a while to 20MBs. I transferred the shared folder from HDD to SSD and it was flying. Solid 112MBytes so yes HDD cash does matter and alot.

Then I check again all cables and there was 1 cable wall to router that was only cat5. I realised the although the colour was same as the 25m cat5e it was not "e". Yeas almost identical only e was missing. I change it and bam!!!  Jperf through 25m Cat5e was giving me solid 111MBytes and could copy the 3GB file with the same speed.

Message 4 of 6
Mike_test
Aspirant

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Happy you resolved it. Anyway, a healthy CAT5 cable or installation is sufficient for Gigabit Ethernet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements