× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308-100PAS and GS308 - daisy chaining not working

sjje
Aspirant

GS308-100PAS and GS308 - daisy chaining not working

Hi,

I am trying to daisy chain 2 GS308 switches together to extend my network across my basement.

So I have:

Xfinity internet <-> cable modem <-> ASUS router in my den (wifi turned off) <-> Netgear GS308-100PAS in a basement closet) <-> GS308 (in basement media room).

[Note that I originally had bought a TPlink to extend this and ran into all sorts of issues - wasted a lot of time.  So returned it and just bought another Netgear to avoid wasting time trying to debug issues - as I read they could be daisy chained.   So I sure hope this is something simple. :)]

In my media closet, I normally have the ethernet cable going directly to my TiVo and it works fine - so I know the internet is working fine to the media closet.  I now want to have this going through a switch so that I can also connect up my TV directly with ethernet as well as the receiver (so TiVo, TV, receiver to all go via this new switch).

I've tried powering off cable modem, router, swtich, switch and then one by one, powering each on.

This is exactly the problem I had with the TP link switch.

I have the ethernet cable (inbound) going to the leftmost port on the new switch.  I am told this shouldn't matter though.

Thank you in advance!!

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
sjje
Aspirant

Re: GS308-100PAS and GS308 - daisy chaining not working

Thank you for the reply!

In my case, the switches will be connected via a network cable that is already in the ceiling (say 30 feet apart).

I know the cable works as when it's directly connected to the TiVo, it all works fine.

However, I decided to bring the switches close to each other and used a network cable that came with my Google wifi... and it worked!

So is there some compatibility issue with the cable?  I am trying to find the Cat-x of this cable in the ceiling but it is brand new network cable, I'm sure supporting gigabit ethernet.  Now, I do see a big roll of it looped up cable in the media closet - so is it possibly a cable length issue?  This is probably what it is -- gaddung it if it is....  

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi sjje,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I don't think that the problem is the switch here. We may try to test the switch by disconnecting it to the network and do some ping test. You may need to have 2 computers in order for us to determine if the switch is working properly.

- Connect the switches together on port 1 to port 1

- Connect 1 PC on port 2 and the other PC on port 2

- Set a static IP on both computers with the same gateway address

e.g.

PC 1 - 192.168.1.1 /24 Gateway: 192.168.1.254

PC 2 - 192.168.1.2 /24 Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Then try to use the PC 1 and do some ping test.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
sjje
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply!

In my case, the switches will be connected via a network cable that is already in the ceiling (say 30 feet apart).

I know the cable works as when it's directly connected to the TiVo, it all works fine.

However, I decided to bring the switches close to each other and used a network cable that came with my Google wifi... and it worked!

So is there some compatibility issue with the cable?  I am trying to find the Cat-x of this cable in the ceiling but it is brand new network cable, I'm sure supporting gigabit ethernet.  Now, I do see a big roll of it looped up cable in the media closet - so is it possibly a cable length issue?  This is probably what it is -- gaddung it if it is....  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@sjje,

I don't think so but it could probably that the cables are not as good as it is. It is possible that it would be the length of your cable that it is too far that it couldn't be recognized by your switch.

You may now close this thread by clicking the "Accept as solution".

Thank you!

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements