× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS308 Version 3 | How do you block internet to a specific port?

Mananan
Aspirant

GS308 Version 3 | How do you block internet to a specific port?

I have two old NAS drives that I now connect to via GS308 switch via cables, and wirelessly to the internet.

However, wireless connection is not the strongest or most reliable and so I would like to connect by cablt to the switch, without the NAS drives connecting to the outside world.

Can I block ports on the GS308 from allowing connection to the internet and if so how?

Or do I need another piece of kit?

Model: GS308v3|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Mananan,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

We cannot disable anything from this switch as this is just a plug and play device or what we call a pass-through switch. If you want it to work only on the local network, then you may need to have at least a Smart Managed Plus Switches on where you can configure and manage the switch by creating a VLAN and assigning the port to a different PVID. That would technically work, but there is also another way by using a Smart Managed Pro Switch and creating an ACL to block the internet.

If ever your concern is now resolved or addressed, please close the thread by clicking the "Accept as solution".

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over on the Swtich forum.

Good Luck

@Mananan wrote:

I have two old NAS drives that I now connect to via GS308 switch via cables, and wirelessly to the internet.

However, wireless connection is not the strongest or most reliable and so I would like to connect by cablt to the switch, without the NAS drives connecting to the outside world.

Can I block ports on the GS308 from allowing connection to the internet and if so how?

Or do I need another piece of kit?

Message 2 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Mananan,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

We cannot disable anything from this switch as this is just a plug and play device or what we call a pass-through switch. If you want it to work only on the local network, then you may need to have at least a Smart Managed Plus Switches on where you can configure and manage the switch by creating a VLAN and assigning the port to a different PVID. That would technically work, but there is also another way by using a Smart Managed Pro Switch and creating an ACL to block the internet.

If ever your concern is now resolved or addressed, please close the thread by clicking the "Accept as solution".

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements