× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: GS308P Gigabit Speed issue

friendly_banter
Initiate

GS308P Gigabit Speed issue

Hi there,

I have installed a GS308P recently and connected it to one of our distribution switches to provide additional ports for some desks in the office.

The switch port the GS308P is connected to is set to auto-negotiation for both speed and duplex. However, the port on the GS308P used for the uplink shows only 100 Mbps (orange LED).

First I suspected one of the devices connected to the GS308P to be the culprit, because that one is only capable of 100 Mbps, but even after removing the device and power-cycling the switch the issue persisted. Also the other ports show 1000 Mbps.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Regards

Model: GS308P|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit switch with 4 ports PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
friendly_banter
Initiate

Hi folks,

First of all, thanks for your replies.

In the end the solution was as simple as embarrassing. After replacing all cables I could replace (except for the one under the floor from the floor box to the comms room of course) I decided that the culprit had to be the one cable between floor box and switch. Replaced with a good one and tested - hooray, gigabit.

Then I installed the switch at its designated location and .... 100Mbps. 😞

It turned out, the Ethernet port in the floor box is wonky and once the lid of the box is closed the cable and the RJ45 connector are pushed down and some pins lose contact so that only 100Mbps are possible.

Long story short, I managed to lay in the cable in a way that this does not happen anymore.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: GS308P Gigabit Speed issue

Is the switch its connected to gigabit?

have you checked the cable and run?

If the cable is only cat 5 it'll connect at 10/100mbps speeds. 

cat5e and higher can connect at gigabit. *potential issues could be caused with bad cable, extended run, or wired run that had issues.

Luckily the GS308P is pretty small. You could grab a 6 ft run cable and move it right to where your distribution switch is to check if its a run issue or cable issue. have you tried this?

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

CAT5 cables - permitting they have four pairs / eight strands properly wired are perfectly fine also for GbE connection. Typically a wiring or patch cord issue, regardless of the teck standard.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

CAT5 cables - permitting they have four pairs / eight strands properly wired are perfectly fine also for GbE connection. Typically a wiring or patch cord issue, regardless of the teck standard.

Never tried to get a cat5 cable to hit gigabit. but I've seen numerous posts that were resolved by replacing a cat5 cable with a cat5e or greater cable. Something easy to check. 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Never tried to get a cat5 cable to hit gigabit. but I've seen numerous posts that were resolved by replacing a cat5 cable with a cat5e or greater cable. Something easy to check. 

The problem is that there are CAT5 cables with two pairs (four strands) and fully equipped ones with four pairs (eight strands). And hey, if the [patch] cord isn't very long it does run even 10G.

Message 5 of 6
friendly_banter
Initiate

Hi folks,

First of all, thanks for your replies.

In the end the solution was as simple as embarrassing. After replacing all cables I could replace (except for the one under the floor from the floor box to the comms room of course) I decided that the culprit had to be the one cable between floor box and switch. Replaced with a good one and tested - hooray, gigabit.

Then I installed the switch at its designated location and .... 100Mbps. 😞

It turned out, the Ethernet port in the floor box is wonky and once the lid of the box is closed the cable and the RJ45 connector are pushed down and some pins lose contact so that only 100Mbps are possible.

Long story short, I managed to lay in the cable in a way that this does not happen anymore.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements