× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324-100EUS : is this switch shielded? or compatible with a shielded installation ,

Isou
Aspirant

GS324-100EUS : is this switch shielded? or compatible with a shielded installation ,

Hello,

for my home network installation, I used cable cat6 f/utp, cat6a ftp patch panel and I was wondering if the switch GS324-100EUS was compatible... I couldn't find this information !  The RJ45 connectors are in plastic while the enclosure in metal; for the other models (16 and 48 ports), the ports are in metal; but I was also not able to find the information.

Also, do I need to connect this switch to the ground ? And how...

Finally, is there any easy way to know if a switch is shielded or not ?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Isou

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324-100EUS : is this switch shielded? or compatible with a shielded installation ,

@Isouwrote:

So, if I summarize, the metal enclosure is only needed because of power being inside.  When power is outside, then plastic enclosure is enough.

Not at all. Plastic would be better in terms of electrical isolation. A metal enclosure is much better suited for the heat disipation in general, and then don't forget the GS324 does not have a fan. And because it has a human touchable metal enclosure it must be grounded by the 3rd pin on the power cord.

@Isou wrote:

Just for my comprehension now, why are ports in metal on some switches ? (beautifull, solidity, ...)

To provide a connection between the cable shielding with the device ground.

When you think about the fact that many small switches are powered from Class 1 (double isolated) power supplies - which lack of mandatory grounding, the device ground, the metal enclosure, and the connectors grounding. How many installers are grounding that other basic switches by nstalling dedicated grounding?

Last - most common cable standards (for GbE) are pure UTP - unshielded. Perfectly sufficient for 99.99% of the users. Few exceptions in heavy industries where big electrical machines or ovens are in use.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS324-100EUS : is this switch shielded? or compatible with a shielded installation ,

The GS324 comes with an IEC 60320 C14 power inlet, the metal enclosure is required to be connected to the ground pin.

The RJ45 connectors are indeed all plastic, no unshielding contact. As a good cabling system should be properly grounded at least at a single point only, this is commonly done on the patch panel side.

There is nothing that should stop you from using the GS324 on a shielded installation.

Message 2 of 4
Isou
Aspirant

Thanks Schumaku !

So, if I summarize, the metal enclosure is only needed because of power being inside.  When power is outside, then plastic enclosure is enough.

Just for my comprehension now, why are ports in metal on some switches ? (beautifull, solidity, ...)

Have a nice Sunday

Isou

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Isouwrote:

Not at all. Plastic would be better in terms of electrical isolation. A metal enclosure is much better suited for the heat disipation in general, and then don't forget the GS324 does not have a fan. And because it has a human touchable metal enclosure it must be grounded by the 3rd pin on the power cord.

@Isou wrote:

To provide a connection between the cable shielding with the device ground.

When you think about the fact that many small switches are powered from Class 1 (double isolated) power supplies - which lack of mandatory grounding, the device ground, the metal enclosure, and the connectors grounding. How many installers are grounding that other basic switches by nstalling dedicated grounding?

Last - most common cable standards (for GbE) are pure UTP - unshielded. Perfectly sufficient for 99.99% of the users. Few exceptions in heavy industries where big electrical machines or ovens are in use.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements