× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help setting up network w/ GS605

Acuttie
Aspirant

Help setting up network w/ GS605

I am not sure how to set up my network and need help.  I had a new home built with three lines running to different rooms and all leading to a cabinet/box in the laundry room where cable etc are housed.  I am trying to get all three lines to have internet connections on the other end.  Here is how I have it setup right now.

Cox cable modem to Netgear 5 port gigabit switch GS605 then all three lines are plugged into the swich.

One line goes to a wireless router Asus AC3100 - this connection works fine and provides both wired and wireless connection to it.

The problem is that only one line will get internet access while the other two can connect but say "Local Only" "No internet connection".  I have tried to connect a laptop hardwired directly to the switch while having the one that is working still connected and I still get the above problem.

I am not literate when it comes to acronyms and terms used for networking so if someone can provide a (simple) plain english answere I would appreciate it.

Model: GS605v3|5 port Desktop gigabit ethenet switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Help setting up network w/ GS605

Hi Acuttie,

I'm afraid to inform you that your best option is to properly connect your existing networking devices.   Connect the Cox cable modem to the WAN port of the Asus AC3100 wireless router.  Then, connect the GS605 switch directly to a LAN port Asus AC3100 wireless router. Finally, connect the remaining 2 lines directly either to the other LAN port(s) Asus AC3100 wireless router or any LAN port(s) of the GS605 switch. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Acuttie, 

Welcome to the community! 

The problem here is the switch, it is not where it is supposed to be placed. The setup should be modem-router-switch. The reason why you cannot get a connection from the other ports of the switch is because it does not have a DHCP server thus it cannot give the devices connected to it an IP address. The GS605 is only a passthrough switch and does not have the capability to provide an IP address and translate the internet connection. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 4
Acuttie
Aspirant

Is there a product that will work with the way I currently have it set up ? A switch that will give those DHCP to all ports from the cabinet.
Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Acuttie,

I'm afraid to inform you that your best option is to properly connect your existing networking devices.   Connect the Cox cable modem to the WAN port of the Asus AC3100 wireless router.  Then, connect the GS605 switch directly to a LAN port Asus AC3100 wireless router. Finally, connect the remaining 2 lines directly either to the other LAN port(s) Asus AC3100 wireless router or any LAN port(s) of the GS605 switch. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements