× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to choose a switch ?

macravienne
Aspirant

How to choose a switch ?

Hello,

I am new in  the Netear community and I would like to buy a switch for my private network. The problem is I don't know what to choose. And since I would like a secure network, it complicates things.

My network would be composed of 6 servers and 2 computers, but this network and all elements connected in won't and must NEVER be connected to internet, even for the configuration. Each server has a sub domain name (eg "server1.xxxx.com", "server2.xxxx.com", "server3.xxxx.com", and go on...). So I am looking for a switch that allows the server "server1.xxxx.com" to ping and communicate with the server "server3.xxxx.com" and vice versa (no IP configurations, just with the domain name). Computers doesn't have a domain name and must ping and communicate with any server only using the domain name.

The first thing that is not clear for me is the difference between a managed and a non managed switch. Even with a "non managed switch", what configurations I am able to edit ?

Second thing: if I correctly understand, the "managed switch" is configurable by a webpage. But is the webpage available from my private and internal network or should I connect to a netgear website to configure it ?

Third question : With a "non managed"switch, Am I able to allow or refuse a specific server or a computer to (not) communicate with a specific server or computer ?

Fourth and last question : According to my third question, does the "non managed" switch meet my criteria to build and set my network ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to choose a switch ?

Hi @macravienne,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

The first thing that is not clear for me is the difference between a managed and a non managed switch. Even with a "non managed switch", what configurations I am able to edit ?

There is nothing to configure on the unmanaged switch.  Unmanaged switch is just a pass-through switch wherein its main function is to extend the local network.  On the other hand, a managed switch lets you configure Layer 2 functionalities such VLAN, Link Aggreagation, Spanning Tree, etc. 

Second thing: if I correctly understand, the "managed switch" is configurable by a webpage. But is the webpage available from my private and internal network or should I connect to a netgear website to configure it ?

Managed switches have a web-GUI that is reachable through the switch's management IP address.  You will be the one to set the management IP address of the switch so that you will be able to access it.  In relation to the switch's management IP address, a management VLAN should be configured and a designated port should be assigned to it as well so that only you can have access to the switch web-GUI.  

Third question : With a "non managed"switch, Am I able to allow or refuse a specific server or a computer to (not) communicate with a specific server or computer ?

This is not possible because there is nothing to configure on the unmanaged switch.

Fourth and last question : According to my third question, does the "non managed" switch meet my criteria to build and set my network ?

Nope.  You will need a managed switch that supports VLAN and ACL (Access Control List).  Kindly read the articles below:

What is a VLAN?

What is a management VLAN?

What are Access Control Lists (ACLs) and how do they work with my managed switch?

Furthermore, to get familiarize with the NETGEAR ProSAFE Switches as well as to select what you require, kindly access the links below:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

NETGEAR ProSAFE Switch Selector

NETGEAR 2018 Product Catalog - see pages 15 - 59 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
jonathan_l
NETGEAR Expert

Mayby what you need it a switch that support port-based VLAN

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @macravienne,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

There is nothing to configure on the unmanaged switch.  Unmanaged switch is just a pass-through switch wherein its main function is to extend the local network.  On the other hand, a managed switch lets you configure Layer 2 functionalities such VLAN, Link Aggreagation, Spanning Tree, etc. 

Managed switches have a web-GUI that is reachable through the switch's management IP address.  You will be the one to set the management IP address of the switch so that you will be able to access it.  In relation to the switch's management IP address, a management VLAN should be configured and a designated port should be assigned to it as well so that only you can have access to the switch web-GUI.  

This is not possible because there is nothing to configure on the unmanaged switch.

Nope.  You will need a managed switch that supports VLAN and ACL (Access Control List).  Kindly read the articles below:

What is a VLAN?

What is a management VLAN?

What are Access Control Lists (ACLs) and how do they work with my managed switch?

Furthermore, to get familiarize with the NETGEAR ProSAFE Switches as well as to select what you require, kindly access the links below:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

NETGEAR ProSAFE Switch Selector

NETGEAR 2018 Product Catalog - see pages 15 - 59 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
macravienne
Aspirant

DaneA,

this is the best answer (ever!) I could expect.

Now all is clear to me and I just bought what I need.

Huge thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements