× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS524 not showing 1GB connection when It should

riller
Aspirant

JGS524 not showing 1GB connection when It should

I am a networking novice and am trying to troubleshoot something around performance.  The switch allows both 100Mbps and 1gig service indicated by yellow (100Mb) and Green (1Gb).  I have one connection that is using Cat5e patch cable showing 100Mb where it should be 1Gb.  Other connections coming out of the switch are green but not this one.  I have tried a variety of sockets in case that was the problem but still Yellow.

The cable is a longer run than the rest (probably 40ft) to a Linksys Velop node so in my estimation, the switch, the cable and the node are all capable of 1Gb so I should be showing a green light.  Before I start ripping stuff apart, what in that setup might be the cause of that particular connection showing Yellow?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

Model: JGS524|24-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: JGS524 not showing 1GB connection when It should

It sounds like the cable.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I would first check the cable. All 4 wire pairs inside the cable must be in working order in order to run at 1 Gbps. Can you try connecting the cable from the switch to another device known to support 1 Gbps? Alternatively, get an inexpensive network cable tester to check the end to end continuity of all 8 wires.
Message 2 of 4
riller
Aspirant

I can't tell the wiring integrity, but here is something that I tried out, it smells like cable related but not really sure...

The Cat5e patch cable is going into a Time Capsule, that then feeds my elgato port replicator for my mac.  When connected I get internet.  

I took the Cable feeding the Time Capsule and plugged it directly to the elgato and got no connection (no blinking lights or anything in the port).  I then tried a C2G USB network adaptor with the same result.

I then took my laptop and USB adaptor directly to my modem and switch, connected via a different Cat5e cable and got lights and internet at 1GB.

Immediately went back to the Time Capsule and same deal, no lights, no internet.  Plugged it back into the TC and internet flowed through the elgato to the laptop.   I am stymied, but this smells like cable.

the problem cable is run through three rooms to get to its final location so I am trying to be certain before I sink the $$ into replacing it.

Thoughts?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like the cable.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation