× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not getting gigabit speeds from 2 Netgear switches

jron
Tutor

Not getting gigabit speeds from 2 Netgear switches

I have two gigabit switches that I've tried connecting to a Linksys WRT 1200AC router but any device I connect to either of these switches is capped at 100mbps. Process of elimination - it's not an issue with any of the cables, the router, or the other devices. I've tried the same cables plugging directly to the same port on the router with the same devices without the switch and speedtests show what I should be getting from my internet connection (200mbps up/down), as soon as I use either switch I get about 95mbps. Lights are all green. Any thoughts?  😕

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches, GS116|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jron
Tutor

Nevermind, it was a specific cable this whole time. It would handle the network differently depending on where it was moved, so it was throwing our troubleshooting off. There's a bad crimp in it or something. Eventually it just completely stopped working.

Ugh, sorry

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Just in case - these aren't FS108 and FS116?

Provide the exact switch model - check the printing and the model type as shown on the label below the device.

Message 2 of 6
jron
Tutor

Nope, GS108 and GS116

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

GS108(v1 or -100xxx) and GS116(v1 or -100xxx)?

Do the link LEDs show only 100 Mb/s negotiated? Depending on model, it can be different which LED are on/flashing.

Message 4 of 6
jron
Tutor

gs116v2, gs108v4.

I just noticed some devices on the switches get 2 lights (a couple linux servers) and other devices that I was testing with are getting 1 light (windows / mac pcs). Those same devices, with the same cables, can get plugged straight into the router and get gigabit speeds though. 

Message 5 of 6
jron
Tutor

Nevermind, it was a specific cable this whole time. It would handle the network differently depending on where it was moved, so it was throwing our troubleshooting off. There's a bad crimp in it or something. Eventually it just completely stopped working.

Ugh, sorry

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements