× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Port Aggregation Setup on R8500 Nighthawk X8 and S808e Nighthawk switch

ShanePrince
Aspirant

Port Aggregation Setup on R8500 Nighthawk X8 and S808e Nighthawk switch

Hi All 

I am only finding articles around this topic for the R9000 Nighthawk Router and Nighthawk Switch. Has anyone configured Port Aggregation between R8500 Nighthawk X8 Router and S808e Nighthawk Switch. I ahve attempted this a few times but constantly have to rollback becasue of Network loops.

Regards

Shane

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ShanePrince,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @ShanePrince

You have followed this article, correct?

Can you provide us more information about your network setup and issue you're having?

Message 2 of 5
ShanePrince
Aspirant

Yes i followed the steps according to the article for the R9000 , however whenever i do this it causes a Network Loop.
My Current Equipment
1. Nighthawk R8500 Router
2. Nighthawk S808e Gaming Switch.

3. Plex Server

When i connect the Link Aggregation Ports of the Nighthawk R8500 to port 7 and port 8 on the Nighthawk Switch my entire network goes unstable and both netgear devices loose network connection and i am forced to remove the connections from both the R8500 and S808e link aggregation ports and reboot all the devices to get it stable again.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ShanePrince,

I am afraid to inform you that the Nighthawk GS808e Gaming switch only supports static LAG while the Nighthawk R8500 router only supports LACP (or dynamic LAG).  For you to double check, kindly read page 48 of the GS808e user manual here and read page 66 of the R8500 user manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ShanePrince,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements