× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNas Switch Setup

NG18
Aspirant

ReadNas Switch Setup

My ReadyNas when connected to a router is working fine. I want to replace the router with a switch. When I give static ip to the device and attach it to a switch, the computers don't see that NAS. Is there how to for setting up ReadyNas with a Switch? TIA

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadNas Switch Setup

@NG18,

When I give static ip to the device and attach it to a switch, the computers don't see that NAS. Is there how to for setting up ReadyNas with a Switch? TIA

Since you replaced the router with a switch, be reminded that the router is the DHCP server that provides local IP addresses to the computers.  Unmanaged switches does not have the capability to provide local IP addresses because its purpose is to extend the local network so that you can connect more devices in the LAN. 

On your current setup, now that you set a static IP address on the NAS, you will need to set static IP addresses to the computers that is within the IP address range of the IP address of NAS.  For example, if the NAS IP address is 192.168.1.2/24, then you will need to set static IP addresses of 192.168.1.3/24 and 192.168.1.4/24 to PC1 and PC2 respectively so that the PCs will be able to access the NAS. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NG18,

When I give static ip to the device and attach it to a switch, the computers don't see that NAS. Is there how to for setting up ReadyNas with a Switch? TIA

Since you replaced the router with a switch, be reminded that the router is the DHCP server that provides local IP addresses to the computers.  Unmanaged switches does not have the capability to provide local IP addresses because its purpose is to extend the local network so that you can connect more devices in the LAN. 

On your current setup, now that you set a static IP address on the NAS, you will need to set static IP addresses to the computers that is within the IP address range of the IP address of NAS.  For example, if the NAS IP address is 192.168.1.2/24, then you will need to set static IP addresses of 192.168.1.3/24 and 192.168.1.4/24 to PC1 and PC2 respectively so that the PCs will be able to access the NAS. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
NG18
Aspirant

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos