× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Requesting letter of volatility, GS105E-100NAS

dmcdaniel
Aspirant

Requesting letter of volatility, GS105E-100NAS

Can I obtain a letter of volatility for a Netgear ProSafe 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, GS105E-100NAS? Thank you

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

Re: Requesting letter of volatility, GS105E-100NAS

thanks again John. You've been a great help!

-Denis

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dmcdaniel,

Here is the letter of volatility for the GS105Ev1. The link will expire after 48 hours. There is no password needed.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

I am not able to open the link. It's giving me a login prompt, and it rejects my user/password (you said I don't need a password?)

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Yes @dmcdaniel is right, there is something wrong with the download link generated and shared - it does not work, asking for username and password.

Why on earth aren't the LoV readily available along the documentation downloads?

Message 4 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dmcdaniel,

I have re-uploaded the LoV. Please try it again.

Regards,

Message 5 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

Thank you John, I have it now. May I ask for a clarification, though? It shows 2Mbytes of flash memory and indicates that this is user modifiable. Process to Clear is "Use flash programmer," and nothing more. Is it possible to get more specific instructions than this?

Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Look also here - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/Flash-programming-procedure/m-p/1712402 - this is a very strange process suggestion as part as a LoV. When you would go and erase the Flash, the switch would no longer boot, no longer be configured, no longer knowing it's a Netgear product, ...

The LoV should cover areas where potentially proprietary/private information like passwords, logs, network information, could reside which has to be erased before selling or giving a way a product. Can @JohnCM_S  please pick up and ensure engineering is adjusting this information accordingly on all (or at least many) similar Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro switch models. 

Message 7 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

Hi John, sorry to trouble you again, somehow I lost the document. Could you possibly repost the link for me? Thanks!

Denis

Message 8 of 14
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dmcdaniel,

Here is the letter of volatility for GS105Ev1.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

Thanks again John (I saved it this time!).

Now I have another question. I discovered that the instrument that I have is "v2" not "v1". Someone else I work with had a letter of volatility for the v2, and there is a difference that I wanted to ask about. The letter for the v2 shows the same entry for 2Mbytes Flash memory that the v1 letter has, but shows this as being non-user modifiabe, whereas the v1 letter says it is user-modifiable. This is a very important difference for my purposes, and I was wondering if I could get a confirmation that the respective letters are correct? Thanks

Message 10 of 14
schumaku
Guru

In either case, the 2 Mbit Flash is used for holding the firmware (user updateable) and most likely it does also hold the device configuration (both the default and the few user configuration items).

That much about a paperwork system - with limited value - introduced because some admins (or repair centers, or self-declared refurbishing businesses) have not properly reset systems, "confidential" information like passwords, location names with IP addresses, ... ended up with other customers.

Message 11 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

I appreciate all your help John. If I could ask for one more thing, possibly I could get a fresh copy of the V2 LoV? Thanks again

Denis

Message 12 of 14
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dmcdaniel,

Here is the letter of volatility for GS105Ev2.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 14
dmcdaniel
Aspirant

thanks again John. You've been a great help!

-Denis

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements