× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Second GS205 connected to router not sharing internet

Squiddley
Initiate

Second GS205 connected to router not sharing internet

Hello community.... I cannot find specific answers to my problem amd appreciate help.

I have used one of these switches for 18months without issue. Connected to my R8000 router and the. To the peripherals. Now I bought another one, and connected a working LAN cable to the switch, but devices connected to the switch have no network. I have interchanged he switches and the new one works with the old setup.

My last resort will be a new flat cable, but the one I have works fine when connecting the router to the laptop directly... disconnecting that same cable from the laptop and connecting to the switch results in failure. Theres no comsistent connection light.... just a periodic flash.

Thanks in advance.

Model: GS205v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Squiddley
Initiate

Re: Second GS205 connected to router not sharing internet [Problem solved]

Hi Dane

Thank you for the welcome. I bought a new 10m flat cat 6 cable, which works fine with the second GS205 now. The New GS205 is now a spare for future use. The problem must have been with the old flat lan cable, though why it failed to work with a switch yet was fine directly in the laptop lan socket is beyond me.

To avoid disppointment I also bought a TP-Link SG1005D 5 port gigabit switch that works too. It also didn’t like the lan old cable, so both hardware products are fine.

My issue is now resolved, and thanks for the follow-up.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Second GS205 connected to router not sharing internet

Hi @Squiddley,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I have interchanged he switches and the new one works with the old setup.

This means that the new GS205 is working.  

My last resort will be a new flat cable,

Were you able to try another ethernet cable with the new GS205 switch?  If yes, what is the result?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Squiddley
Initiate

Re: Second GS205 connected to router not sharing internet [Problem solved]

Hi Dane

Thank you for the welcome. I bought a new 10m flat cat 6 cable, which works fine with the second GS205 now. The New GS205 is now a spare for future use. The problem must have been with the old flat lan cable, though why it failed to work with a switch yet was fine directly in the laptop lan socket is beyond me.

To avoid disppointment I also bought a TP-Link SG1005D 5 port gigabit switch that works too. It also didn’t like the lan old cable, so both hardware products are fine.

My issue is now resolved, and thanks for the follow-up.

Cheers!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements