× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch GS308v2 connecting Server - which port ?

Mikepamhk
Follower

Switch GS308v2 connecting Server - which port ?

I recently purchased a Netgear GS308v2 8-port ethernet switch. Migrated from a Linksys 10/100 MHz 16-port. Our company's Linux server was connected to the old switch on IP address 192.168.0.100. Our gateway IP address (router) is 192.168.0.1. 

I just replaced my old 16-port Linksys switch with the new Netgear switch. Internet is WORKING FINE. But am unable to see the network shares and access our Linux server on all the PC's. I tried ping 192.168.0.100 and it is giving me Destination Host Unreachable.

Here are my connections : Internet modem TO Router WAN Port  and then from GS308v2 LAN Port 1 TO Netgear Switch GS308v2 Ethernet Port 7. I have connected our Linux server to Port 1 on the GS308v2 Switch

I suspect that I need to connect the SERVER ethernet cable to ONE of the ports on the GS308v2. Can someone please advise WHICH ONE? 

I have very basic understanding of servers and switches and I thought this would be a simple REPLACE the switch operation. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Model: GS308v2|Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switch GS308v2 connecting Server - which port ?

@Mikepamhk,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Any of the ports will do on this type of switch. This is just a plug and play device so no need to worry about where to connect the uplink. You can just try to isolate and use other ports to determine the issue.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switch GS308v2 connecting Server - which port ?

@Mikepamhk,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Any of the ports will do on this type of switch. This is just a plug and play device so no need to worry about where to connect the uplink. You can just try to isolate and use other ports to determine the issue.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements