× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading a church network

NightWolf1020
Aspirant

Upgrading a church network

Hello.

I am looking to expand my churches network. Right now everything runs off two wireless routers (which is slow). I am looking at setting up a switch and running Ethernet cabling. I’m not sure what type of switch I should get either managed or unmanaged. We currently have internet access through Time Warner Cable (not sure of the speed)

We have a room that is mainly used by kids in a daycare and the other set of computers are up from used by the employees. So I was thinking possibly 2 Switches. Currently we have 8 (2 laptops) computers upfront that are on a separate wireless networks. Then the 13 in the kid’s computer lab are on a separate wireless network. Then at least 5 other computers in other classrooms that connect to which every network they are closest too. I would also like to block access to websites that could pose a threat to the network. We are in the process of getting additional PC’s.  The computers will be running Windows 7 and Windows 10.

1. I would like to set up a switch so I can eliminate all the PC needing to be wireless.

2. I would like to have a seperate network for people with cellphones and tablets so they are not on the same network as the business computers.

3. I would like to know what is the sugested maximum length an Ethernet cord can be and should be run.

4. I would like to know what are my options for data backup.

5. I would like to know what would be needed to block website and keep the network secure.

Thank you for any asstance.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NightWolf1020,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

For the firewall router, I suggest you the FVS336Gv3.  You can allow or block services like FTP, RDP, etc, on the FVS336Gv3.  You can also block certain keywords that you don't want to be access on the internet.  Be reminded that it does not have the capability to completely block HTTPs websites. 

For the switch, I suggest you the GS724Tv4.  The GS724Tv4 is a 24-port smart switch that supports VLAN configuration.  You can create VLANs to segregate the Admin, DayCare and Guest networks.  

For the access point, I suggest you the WAC730.  The WAC730 also supports VLAN wherein you can create a wireless network for the Admin VLAN, DayCare VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

For the storage device, I suggest you the ReadyNAS RN422.  The RN422 is a 2-bay NAS that also supports VLAN.  I believe the storage unit is solely for the Admin network access to backup important files. 

About the maximum length of the ethernet cable, it should be less than 100 meters.  Its because if its beyond the 100-meter length, the signal weakens. 

Here below is my suggested network setup for the church:

For more information about the NETGEAR devices depicted on the network diagram above, kindly check their respective data sheet below:

FVS336Gv3 Data Sheet

GS724Tv4 Data Sheet

WAC730 Data Sheet

RN422 Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NightWolf1020,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

For the firewall router, I suggest you the FVS336Gv3.  You can allow or block services like FTP, RDP, etc, on the FVS336Gv3.  You can also block certain keywords that you don't want to be access on the internet.  Be reminded that it does not have the capability to completely block HTTPs websites. 

For the switch, I suggest you the GS724Tv4.  The GS724Tv4 is a 24-port smart switch that supports VLAN configuration.  You can create VLANs to segregate the Admin, DayCare and Guest networks.  

For the access point, I suggest you the WAC730.  The WAC730 also supports VLAN wherein you can create a wireless network for the Admin VLAN, DayCare VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

For the storage device, I suggest you the ReadyNAS RN422.  The RN422 is a 2-bay NAS that also supports VLAN.  I believe the storage unit is solely for the Admin network access to backup important files. 

About the maximum length of the ethernet cable, it should be less than 100 meters.  Its because if its beyond the 100-meter length, the signal weakens. 

Here below is my suggested network setup for the church:

For more information about the NETGEAR devices depicted on the network diagram above, kindly check their respective data sheet below:

FVS336Gv3 Data Sheet

GS724Tv4 Data Sheet

WAC730 Data Sheet

RN422 Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NightWolf1020,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 10
niemoy
Aspirant

Hi,

Just to add information on the suggested Access Point. WAC730/WAC720 does not have power adapter included when purchased, better get a PoE switch instead to power the APs. NETGEAR GS728TP would be a fine choice.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are right @niemoy.  🙂  I overlooked at that information. 

@NightWolf1020,

As a follow-up  to the information that niemoy has added, kindly  check the specifications of the GS728TP switch here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 10
NightWolf1020
Aspirant

Thank you so much.

Message 6 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NightWolf1020,

You're welcome! 🙂  Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community. 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
NightWolf1020
Aspirant

As pertaining to the access point, when it says Power Over Ethernet (POE) does that mean the access point will not require a power plug?

Thank you

Message 8 of 10
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Nightwolf1020

Exactly right the AP will be powered throught the Ethernet Cable so you don't need any additional  Power Adapter,

poe.png

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 9 of 10
niemoy
Aspirant

That's right... no power adapter/plug needed.. it is mainly design for the purpose of easy deployment ..i.e mounting the AP in a ceiling or wall where there is no power outlet. You can simply use the ethernet line coming from the PoE switch to the AP to power up and have data connection at the same time.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements