× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

gs316 seems to kill network traffic

bvz
Aspirant
Aspirant

gs316 seems to kill network traffic

I just purchased a new GS316 for my home.  Unfortunately, anything running through that switch seems to run extremely slowly.  To the point that my web pages that I am trying to access actually timeout.  Eventually, a few pages will load for a little while (a few minutes where the latency seems very slow, but still fast enough that the browser doesn't give up before a page loads), but then the whole thing bogs down even more again and pages stop loading.

If I plug directly into the router/modem (by using the cat5E cable that connects the router to the switch - bypassing the switch) everything runs as fast as I would expect.  Pages load quickly (enough - considering my slowish internet service).

Then, when I plug back into the switch everything seems to run fine for a while before it starts bogging down again.  

The switch is in a closet, but should be getting plenty of air.  It is mounted vertically, directly against the wall. It has about an inch of clear space below it (just above an empty wooden shelf) and about a foot above it. It has about 4 cubic feet of space around it in the other directions.  The closet itself is at about 58 degrees (we have almost  no insulation and keep our house quite cold).

My setup:

Pace 4111N modem/router - plugged into the switch using cat5E cable.

Netgear 316 - plugged into my computer using cat5E cable.

iMac running 10.10.5

There are other devices on the switch as well:

UniFi wireless access point connecting to several wireless clients (two android phones, HP printer, macbook air)

Home security alarm system

Synology NAS

Several patch cables running to wall ports that have nothing plugged into them

Previous setup (that worked)

Pace 4111N modem/router - plugged into an airport extreme using the same cat5E cable.

Airport Extreme - plugged into my computer using cat5E cable.

iMac running 10.10.5

This setup had the following additional devices as well

The same home security alarm system

The same Synology NAS

The same wireless clients as above

No other connected devices (i.e. no patch cables running to empty wall ports)

Everything is using the same cables as the previous setup.

GS316 Status

Looking at the GS316, I can see that the port connected to the router has a single green LED, (indicating that it is running at 100Mbps). All the other ports that are active, all have two green LED's (indicating that they are running at 1000Mbps).  Ports that are connected to empty wall plates have no LED's visible.

Speedtest.net results

Bypassing the switch:

ping: 19ms

download speed: 8.72 Mbps

upload speed: .91 Mbps

Plugging back into the switch, everything runs fast for a while

ping: 19ms

download speed: 8.72 Mbps

upload speed: .89 Mbps

But a few hours later, no dice.  Things really bog down again.

So why is my brand new switch unable to allow me to use the internet?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Re: gs316 seems to kill network traffic

Hi bvz,

Welcome to NETGEAR community!

At first, please reduce your temperature, the switch can bear the range:

Operating temperature 0°–40°C (32°–104°F).

If your closet is 58 degrees, maybe the switch chipset will have higher degrees.

The second point, if your switch can support power saving function, please try to disable it. Due to it can control your traffic for power saving.

Look forward you reply, thanks.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi bvz,

Welcome to NETGEAR community!

At first, please reduce your temperature, the switch can bear the range:

Operating temperature 0°–40°C (32°–104°F).

If your closet is 58 degrees, maybe the switch chipset will have higher degrees.

The second point, if your switch can support power saving function, please try to disable it. Due to it can control your traffic for power saving.

Look forward you reply, thanks.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

Message 2 of 5
Alan_Lin
Aspirant

Hi Bvz,

GS316 is an unmanaged switch, I think there are 3 possibilities:

1. Paket traffic jam or packet in looping:

- Please check if any other port LED is keeping blinking when you conduct the testing, the outbound bandwidth may occupied by other packet traffic. 

2. Operation temperature is too high

- if your 58 degrees is 58 Celsius, then it's over the suggest operation temperature of GS316, high temperature may impact HW performance even broken the switch.

3. The switch is DOA. please check with the vendor to get a new one.

Message 3 of 5
Shobee
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, but, not only are the speeds slow for devices connected to the switch, speeds are also slow for devices connected to my modem / router through the other ports.

When I turn off the switch, all devices connected to the router (not via the switch) have fast speeds again.

Message 4 of 5
bvz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Original poster here...

In my case it appears that the switch was overheating. My closet was 58 degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Even so, it appears that I had mounted the switch with the vents too close to the wall. So even though the closet was very cool, the switch itself wasn't able to vent properly.

I'm not much of a networking person, but have you tried turning off the router? Only connect a number of devices together via the switch and see if they operate quickly. Basically simplify the network and only then add devices one by one to see if the switch is the problem or maybe simmering else is conflicting with it.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements