× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 10 Gigabit switch for RN526x SMB network

Labdoc1
Luminary

10 Gigabit switch for RN526x SMB network

I have a new-to-me RN526x, which has 2x10G copper ethernet ports. Currently, it is connected to a Netgear GS108E switch (1 Gigabit x 8 ports). I would like to update the network with a 10G switch and 10G ethernet cards in two main computers. The situation is domestic offices, Windows 10, Cat 6 cabling, RNAS OS6.10.4. Noise level under 25dB is needed.

I also have an older RNAS (ProPioneer, updated to OS6.10) that will be used as a backup for the RN526. It is limited to 2 x 1G ethernet ports. It can be connected to the updated 10G switch in a LAG arrangement.

An 8-port 10G switch would serve the RNAS 526 (1 or 2 ports), main computers (2 ports total), the older RNAS (2 ports for the LAG), an uplink port to an additional 1G switch and leave one open port. 

Budget under US$1,000.

Netgear XS708E or XS708T seem to fit. The XS708E is criticized for loud fan noise on Amazon. Other than that, I do not understand the difference between these 2 product offerings. If forum members could point out other products I should consider, that would be great.

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Labdoc1 wrote:

Good to know. What is your subjective impression of the noise from the fans? 

The switch is in the basement, and is co-located with other equipment (several ReadyNAS and a PoE switch).  So I don't think a sound measurement (or a subjective impression) would give you any good information, given the mix of equipment.   

Acoustic noise is spec'd at 36.7 dba @ 25C on the datasheet (the XS716E is a bit quieter, at 33.9 dba).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

XS708E is an "enhanced" switch, meaning it has some configuration options. However, the XS708T is a Smart switch and has a lot more features. I would pick the XS708T, personally - if price difference isn't too big.

I would however advise you visit the forums for Netgear switches and pose the question there. Both these switches are "older" models that have been out for a good few years now. There might be other options worth looking at.

Message 2 of 6
Labdoc1
Luminary

Thanks for the suggested posting to the network forums. I have added a post there.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I am using an XS708Ev2, and it is working well.

Though if you need more than 8 ports total, then your expected usage does play into this decision.  You might want a switch that has more ports (some gigabit, others 10 gigabit).

Also, if you get a multigig switch, make sure you can set the speed manually on the switch port.  The RN526 doesn't do multigig negotiation.

Message 4 of 6
Labdoc1
Luminary

Good to know. What is your subjective impression of the noise from the fans? If you have a smart phone sound level app, would you take a measurement at, say 25 cm (10")?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Labdoc1 wrote:

Good to know. What is your subjective impression of the noise from the fans? 

The switch is in the basement, and is co-located with other equipment (several ReadyNAS and a PoE switch).  So I don't think a sound measurement (or a subjective impression) would give you any good information, given the mix of equipment.   

Acoustic noise is spec'd at 36.7 dba @ 25C on the datasheet (the XS716E is a bit quieter, at 33.9 dba).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements