× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1000S Rev A

nicklebon
Aspirant

1000S Rev A

I've got a very old 1000S. We bought this years ago and have really never used it due to some issues early on. Today we decided to power it back on, it has been off for years, to backup some data while we reimage a server. The box did not come up. The blue light just blinks. I suspect the flash is corrupt. Most of the fixes for corrupt flash that I've found revolve around removing the CF. This is a Rev A with no removable flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Message 1 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

Re: 1000S Rev A

I should add we've no interest in preserving any data that may be on the box. Also like to what latest firmware for this box? Would that be the recommended firmware to run?
Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you see any of these LED patterns?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/what_does_this_light_pattern_mean

Does the NAS show in RAIDar?
Message 3 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

The pattern is the second pattern, only the blinking blue light, thus my conclusion of the corrupt flash. However since this box has non-removable flash ....

No, it does not show up in RAIDar nor does the MAC address make it into the switch it attached to which corroborates the corrupt image. It does not appear to be booting correctly.

Thanks
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you remember what firmware was on it?

The other possibility could be bad memory or poorly seated memory.
Message 5 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

No idea of the firmware. I did reseat the DIMM to no avail. I'm about to try TFTP per the instructions here:

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_perform_a_tftp_boot_recovery
Message 6 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

No joy there. The Readynas logs in and is looking for kernel_init which doesn't exist in linked package.
Message 7 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

I also attempted a USB recovery with the RAIDiator 3 USB image with no joy. Assuming I followed the correct procedure in the end I was left with the blinking vlue light and no network presence. The procedure I used was:

Made the USB key, 256MB, with rawwrite32

Put USB key into the lower usb slot on the back of the 1000s

Powered on 1000s while holding the front power button down

Released front button after 4th flash of HDD lights

HDD lights blinked on 1 at time each staying on while the next blinked

Eventually drive 4 is blinking and after maybe 1 min of drive 4 blinking the unit powers down

Press front power button back to blinking blue light and not showing up on network.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'd like to get the box up as it would be useful as a small backup device. We ended up using another data pool to backup server so the immediate need has passed. As near as I can tell the 1000s has been cold since 2010 but was working when we took it down. Even before then it saw very little on time and even less use.

Thanks
Message 8 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

Actually got this thing up, turns out it was cold longer than I thought. It was 2010 when we shelved it and now I recall why. Drive 4 keeps dropping out. We replaced it once and came to conclusion the bay was bad. I opened it up today to check connections and they looked good. It seems handling everything brought the drive back so I suspect the cable is bad. The 1000S has an odd SATA cable. Does anyone know where a replacement can be obtained?

Thanks
Message 9 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

Okay so if no one can recommend a replacement cable can someone confirm the connector on the board is micro sata?

Thanks
Message 10 of 11
nicklebon
Aspirant

Even more to point does this look like it would work a replacement SATA cable for bay 4?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9Q ... LUF7KW7AYG

Thanks
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements