× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

102 with mixed size disks

tenforty
Aspirant

102 with mixed size disks

Hi,

After a lot of years a 2TB disk is failing.  It turns out to be cheaper to upgrade to 3TB.  Can I mix a 2TB with a 3TB?  Let raid do its magic with redundancy and then upgrade the second disk to 3TB?  Is this a rational strategy?

Thanks

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: 102 with mixed size disks

@tenforty wrote:

Hi,

After a lot of years a 2TB disk is failing.  It turns out to be cheaper to upgrade to 3TB.  Can I mix a 2TB with a 3TB?  Let raid do its magic with redundancy and then upgrade the second disk to 3TB?  Is this a rational strategy?

Thanks

Yes, this works (and is called "vertical expansion").

One caveat is that the array isn't protected during the resync.  So it is important to have a backup of the data before you manipulate disks in the array.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@tenforty wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, this works (and is called "vertical expansion").

One caveat is that the array isn't protected during the resync.  So it is important to have a backup of the data before you manipulate disks in the array.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

And take a look at your potential future use.  It's a lot cheaper to go bigger now than go small and have to completely replace again later.

2 x 4TB (or even bigger) now instead of 2 x 3TB now and another 2 x 4TB later.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

And take a look at your potential future use.  It's a lot cheaper to go bigger now than go small and have to completely replace again later.

I agree - it's cheapest to plan ahead, and not upgrade too often.  The sweet spot for $/TB starts at about 4 TB at the moment, and seems to be moving up.  And at the moment a 4 TB ironwolf costs $100 (US Amazon) - the 3 TB model costs $97.  

Message 4 of 5
tenforty
Aspirant

Very helpful responses.  Thank you all very much.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements