× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

16 TB Limit: Sum of Drive Capacities or Usable Space ?

PeteCress
Apprentice

16 TB Limit: Sum of Drive Capacities or Usable Space ?

Is the 16-TB limit on RAIDiator 4 devices the maximum sum of all the drives' capacity or is it the usable space ?

i.e. If I am set up with X-RAID2 (2-drive redundancy) is 16 TB the size of the pool that I can actually use to store data, or is it just the sum of the capacities of the installed drives ?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: 16 TB Limit: Sum of Drive Capacities or Usable Space ?

@PeteCress wrote:

Is the 16-TB limit on RAIDiator 4 devices the maximum sum of all the drives' capacity or is it the usable space ?

i.e. If I am set up with X-RAID2 (2-drive redundancy) is 16 TB the size of the pool that I can actually use to store data, or is it just the sum of the capacities of the installed drives ?

It is the volume size, not the sum of raw disk capacity.  (It is also 16 TiB, though that likely won't matter in practice). 

There is also an 8 TiB growth limit (the volume can't grow more than 8 TiB from its initial size).

It is possible to get a volume size > 16 TiB with OS 4.2.  You need to put in drives of the same size, and factory reset with them all in place.  You won't be able to expand later.  Of course OS6 is another option.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements