× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 Readynas devices windows SMB keeps mixing them up

kupermanp
Aspirant

2 Readynas devices windows SMB keeps mixing them up

Hi,

I have a readynas pro and a readynas NV+. They each have a different name (readyNas and Pro). I am having problems with the shares from the two devices being interchanged on the windows SMB network. This happens even when I use the static ip to access the share.

example 1

I have a share titled backup on each device that is mounted as a drive on windows 8.1 in explorer. If I open the backup share on readynas i will initially get access to the backup directory on the readyNas, but after a couple of minutes it will suddenly switch over to the Pro's backup directory. Once this happens when you try to access either units backup directory it will randomly open either the pro or the readynas. This happens even if I input the units IP address into the explorer instead of using the SMB name.

This is not isolated to Windows as the same thing happens to me when I browse using a linux based XBMC and my sonos unit is now doing the same thing.

I tried naming the the shares differently on each machine (ex backup and backup pro) but that caused a separate error where I would access something on the backup directory only to have it randomly say that directory does not exist (I am assuming its trying to access the backup directory on the pro instead of the NV and can't find it )

Thanks
Paul
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Wow. I've never seen or heard of that behavior. It sounds like some sort of IP address conflict.

What IP addresses/subnet masks are you using?
Message 2 of 8
kupermanp
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Wow. I've never seen or heard of that behavior. It sounds like some sort of IP address conflict.

What IP addresses/subnet masks are you using?

Pro- 192.168.2.66 (the second card is 192.168.2.67)
NV+- 192.168.2.62

These are all being assigned by the router as static IP's

Subnet is the standard

Paul
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

ok. Assuming all the mac addresses are stable, it almost sounds like something is messed up with the switch mac table(s).

What is the topology of the network?
Message 4 of 8
kupermanp
Aspirant

NAS ----->24 port switch ---> router

Everything on the network but a printer and a VoIP phone run through the switch. I've tried powering the switch off and on without any change in results

Paul
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

What model switch?

Do things change if you disconnect one of the network links to the pro?
Message 6 of 8
kupermanp
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
What model switch?

Do things change if you disconnect one of the network links to the pro?

The switch is a trend-net green switch

I have not tried to unplug just one of the netowork links but I'll try that when I get home
Message 7 of 8
kupermanp
Aspirant

OK. I think I figured it out. The router was assigning each NAS a different IP address but was using the same hostname (even though the static IP I setup in the router had different hostnames and the hostname on frontview was different.) I deleted the old hostname and static IP entries and re-did them and that seemed to work.

Thanks for all the help

Paul
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements