× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 TB and 4 TB drives - looking to expand drive space

DavidCX
Aspirant

2 TB and 4 TB drives - looking to expand drive space

Hi there - I am a novice and new to NAS set ups. I have an RN104 and two drives, 1 2TB and 1 4TB, at present it is saying I have a maximum of 2TB available - if I purchase an additional 4TB drive - what will that up my available memory to? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Re: 2 TB and 4 TB drives - looking to expand drive space

Are you setup in Xraid or flexraid?
What firmware is on the nas?
When did you last factory default the nas?
Do you have a backup?

Replacing the 2tb with a 4 tb will increase the volume size to about 3.6 TiB.(vertical expansion)
If you add the 4 tb disk in the 3rd slot it will increase to about 5.4 TiB if you are using Xraid. If you are in flexraid you would need to switch to Xraid first then horizontally expand.

There is information about this in the manual.
You may find this useful:
http://ram.kossboss.com/xraid/

I would strongly advise having an up to date , verified backup before expanding.

If the last reset was on firmware 6.1.4 or earlier, you may want to consider a factory default (wipes disks) and restore from backup as there were some filesystem changes in 6.1.5. Note that this is not absolutely essential.

edit: I see that the volume size calculator is currently not working.
Message 2 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

Ok - I am struggling - I added the extra 4 tb drive, using Xraid - the readynas rebuilt the storage to I now have 2 4 TB and 1 2TB drives but it is still saying I only have 3.6 TB space - any ideas why? Thanks in advance.
Message 3 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

it is saying raid5 by the way
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

DavidCX wrote:
Ok - I am struggling - I added the extra 4 tb drive, using Xraid - the readynas rebuilt the storage to I now have 2 4 TB and 1 2TB drives but it is still saying I only have 3.6 TB space - any ideas why? Thanks in advance.
Is it done rebuilding the storage? If so, try rebooting the NAS.
Message 5 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

ok - rebooting did the trick. I now have a new problem, I probably should post this somewhere else so let me know if so. I have been accessing my readynas through a WD media player - all going ok so far, I transferred a couple of movies into the video folder and all fine. So I moved my entire movie collection across - this is a big set of folders (ordered by category) and the wd player cant seem to find any of these big folders - any suggestions?

Thanks again,

David.
Message 6 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

It also turns out my xbobx 360- has the same problem - so presumably this is an issue with the readynas? Thanks.
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What protocol are you using to access the NAS? SMB/CIFS? DLNA?

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?
Message 8 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

readynas 6.2.0

Ok re protocol, it says SMB, AFP, DLNA
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I think the xbox can only use DLNA though. Do you have DLNA enabled on the shares containing the "missing" files?
Message 10 of 12
DavidCX
Aspirant

Thanks all - it seems to have fixed itself so possibly there was just a delay in the Xbox 'noticing' the added files
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

DavidCX wrote:
Thanks all - it seems to have fixed itself so possibly there was just a delay in the Xbox 'noticing' the added files
You can manually force a rescan of the files on the NAS with frontview.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements