× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 resyncs after drive upgraded

vrspectre
Apprentice

2 resyncs after drive upgraded

I've got a 516 that loaded with 4TB drives. I've been replacing them with 6TB drives for a while now. I'm setup with RAID 6. 

The process i use is to pull out the 4TB drive, and put the 6TB drive in. While it's on. 

It appears that starting with drives 4 and drive 5 it is performing 2 syncs after each drive replacment. 

I am not sure what it did for number 4, but for drive 5 it did something odd as well. The upgrade of drive 5 was done while on OS 6.7.1. I don't recall what drive 4 was on. 

I put in the new 6TB drive and it immeditaly said it was 34% synced. It then finished the sync and changed from degraded to redundant and then started to sync again. 

Is this normal? 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The NAS preserves the original 6x1TB raid layer, and adds a new 3TB layer on top (currently 5x3TB). Both layers needed to be synced, so there are two phases.

Since RAID-6 requires the four largest drives to be the same size, you should have seen expansion from 4 TB to 10 TB when you added upgraded the 4th drive. The NAS likely needed to be rebooted at that point.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

How many 6 TB drives have you installed?

Message 2 of 5
vrspectre
Apprentice

When I said drive 4 and 5, i meant the 4th and 5th 6TB drive that i've put in. So 5x6TB drives and 1x4TB drives currently. 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The NAS preserves the original 6x1TB raid layer, and adds a new 3TB layer on top (currently 5x3TB). Both layers needed to be synced, so there are two phases.

Since RAID-6 requires the four largest drives to be the same size, you should have seen expansion from 4 TB to 10 TB when you added upgraded the 4th drive. The NAS likely needed to be rebooted at that point.

Message 4 of 5
vrspectre
Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation. 🙂 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements