× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2005 ReadyNAS won't power on

othello
Aspirant

2005 ReadyNAS won't power on

I have a ReadyNAS NV (2005 model, serial 000da2011af0, 4 drives) which was going strong until yesterday. 

I had an improper shutdown notification, and a RAID sync notification for some reason. Then the machine powered off. I went to power it on and nothign happens when I press the button on the front. I have opened the case and checked and I cannot see any problems. 

I had a replacement fan years ago and a replacement PSU. But the ReadyNAS NV is a LONG time out of warrenty! 

What are my options? I could try and source a new PSU (and tips on where to look, as I'm UK based)? But it might not be that. Or do I move to a new product and try? But then I need something where I can migrate the data to. 

The NAS is our studio file server, and while I do have off-site backups, getting all that data off and back up is going to take a long time. 

Model: ReadyNAS-NV|ReadyNAS NV
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: 2005 ReadyNAS won't power on

It sounds like the PSU - there is a replacement supply here: http://www.evercase.co.uk/CompatibilityListReadynas.htm

I suggest fixing the NV if you can, and then getting a new NAS (perhaps an RN204).  Then repurpose the NV as a local backup.

Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NV was released in February 2006, so with the possible exception of beta units (I don't know when the beta started for those) it would have been a 2006 model.

The NV+ (v1 - Sparc) was an evolutionary improvement over this, but used the same CPU and RAM and was a current model right through till November 2011.

You've had a great run with your unit. Great to hear experiences from long term use.

If you can't get a PSU replacement an alternative would be to get a new ReadyNAS and follow the procedure here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29876

Message 3 of 11
othello
Aspirant

Thanks, I've ordered a new PSUand I will give it a go. 

Message 4 of 11
othello
Aspirant

Thanks! According to my Netgear support account I registered the ReadyNAS NV on 15/Jun/2005, so maybe it was a beta! It has been fantastic and has been running 24/7 since I bought it as I never turn it off. Apart from the replacement fan, and a new PSU about 5 years ago, it has been rock solid. 

I have ordered a new PSU, which hopefully will get the NAS back up and running and allow me to access the data. I can also run a scan to make sure nothing has been corrupted. 

But I do think I need a new NAS, as 10 years has been a long time! 🙂

I will have a look at your current range and see what might be suitable. 

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@othello wrote:

I will have a look at your current range and see what might be suitable. 

Even the entry-level RN100 series is faster than your older NAS, but I'd suggest going with an RN200 series.  Amazon UK prices for the RN214 are pretty good.  

Amazon.uk pricing for an RN214 diskless + three 4 TB WD40efrx would cost you about 660 GBP, and would give you 8 TB of storage with XRAID.  Plus one slot for future expansion.

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can register it as the date you claim you purchased it. I would suspect it's unlikely you would still have the receipt or tracking info to verify that purchase date.

Message 7 of 11
othello
Aspirant

Thanks, I'm having a look at what I should buy to replacemy old ReadyNAS. In the meantime, the new power supply unit is working fine, and I have a working NAs for a little while longer!

I've followed your link and see I can't take my 4 disks from the current device and just slot them into a new ReadyNAS. But those disks have been running for 10years (approx) so I guess I could do with some new ones! I currently have 4 x 500gb HDDs in X-RAID format, giving 1.5TB in total. As you suggested, 3 x 4TB drives would give me a lot more space. 

The amount of time to copy across does concern me, but its obviously a once only task. I guess I could just put the new ReadyNAS on the network and copy files to it directly, without needing support to help?

Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Correct.

There are instructions in the ReadyNAS Backup FAQ

Hope you find those helpful.

You could then use the old NAS to backup some important data from the new one.

I would look at the RN204 and up. What do you intend to use the new NAS for? The use case (along with other factors such as budget) is important in determining which model would be the best fit.

Message 9 of 11
othello
Aspirant

The ReadyNAS will be used for:

* Fileserver. We store all studio project work on here. We don't work directly off the ReadyNAS as our old NV didn't like that much(!), but I guess we could in the future. These folders get backed up offiste every evening

* General backups. Backups of old machines, non-project stuff etc

* Music server. All the studio music is copied here and iTunes on a Mac references it.

So nothing complicated, and generally just a file server. But we could use it for more if there were extra features that were useful. 

I've been looking at the 214 with maybe 3 x 4TB drives?

Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That looks like a great combination for what you want. I would look at e.g. WD RED disks or SeaGate NAS disks depending on your personal preference.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements