× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2nd ethernet port for backup data to other readynas?

Alfnie
Aspirant

2nd ethernet port for backup data to other readynas?

Hi all,

I can't get the following setup to work:

I have read: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/dedicating-2nd-ethernet-port-for-ba..., but it doens't help me.

Can it work? Or it this not even possible? I have two readynas deviced which I want to be a copy of each other. I only have one Ethernet cable to the cabinet when I have setup the two devices.

Pro4 Ethernet port 1 --> Gbit Switch (DHCP) (works)

Pro4 Ethernet port 2 --> Cat6 cable (straight, not crosslink) --> NV+ (does not work, Frontview crashes when i plug cable in)

Settings:

Pro4:

Ethernet port 1: Static 192.168.2.91 / Gateway 192.168.2.254

Ethernet port 2: Static 192.168.2.90 / Gateway 192.168.2.254

NV+:

Ethernet port: Static 192.168.2.90 / Gateway 192.168.2.254

Model: RNDP4410|ReadyNAS® Pro 4
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: 2nd ethernet port for backup data to other readynas?

Hi @Alfnie, whatever you are trying to achieve will not work as long as you will have two clients on your network, which have the same ip-address. But from your post I see, that this is the case for Pro4 Ethernet port2 and NV+ Ethernet port. That is like using the same email address for two different people to send messages to them. Your router is not able to decide, where the IP-packages should go to.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

Pro4 Ethernet port 1 --> Gbit Switch (DHCP) (works)

Pro4 Ethernet port 2 --> Cat6 cable (straight, not crosslink) --> NV+ (does not work, Frontview crashes when i plug cable in)

Settings:

Pro4:

Ethernet port 2: Static 192.168.2.90 / Gateway 192.168.2.254

NV+:

Of course it shouldn't crash.  But you really should be using a different IP address range for the dedicated link.  For instance, 192.168.1.x with a gateway of 192.168.1.254 (subnet mask of 255.255.255.0). And as @Retired_Member says, you can't use the same static address on the Pro and NV+, they need to be different.

But this is a bad approach.  Any services on the NV+ that require internet or home network access will fail (NTP time sync being one, email alerts being another).  And you won't be able to access the NV+ admin page, so you will have no idea when disks fail or other things go wrong.

I don't recommend setting up the NAS this way.  Just get a small gigabit ethernet switch, and put that in the cabinet.  They aren't expensive.

Message 3 of 7
Alfnie
Aspirant

Excuse me, the ethernet port 2 i had configured 192.168.2.89 with gateway 192.168.2.254 (same as NV+)

The idea is that i use the NAS once per month to backup the MainNAS, so i dont need an internet connection to it.

Besides, I have a problem that my NV+ cant run for more thant 30hrs, it will shutdown with the Note that Fan1 has failed... I can't resolve this. I have opened the NV+ and put air through it to clean from dust (no dust there).

Model: RNDP4410|ReadyNAS® Pro 4
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

Excuse me, the ethernet port 2 i had configured 192.168.2.89 with gateway 192.168.2.254 (same as NV+)

Again, you can't use the 192.168.2 bit for the second port of the pro (or the NV+, since it has to match).

@Alfnie wrote:

The idea is that i use the NAS once per month to backup the MainNAS, so i dont need an internet connection to it.

You'll have no idea if the backups are successful or if the NAS health if you set it this way.  You'll have no connection to it at all (because you can't access it via the pro).  The switch is inexpensive, and it solves that problem.

@Alfnie wrote:

Besides, I have a problem that my NV+ cant run for more thant 30hrs, it will shutdown with the Note that Fan1 has failed... I can't resolve this. I have opened the NV+ and put air through it to clean from dust (no dust there).

The fan is replaceable (though of course it could be a sensor problem, which can't be fixed).  Although I wouldn't put a lot of money in an NV+ (it's just too old), a fan might be reasonable.

My own NV+ is on a power schedule.  It turns on once a day, backs up shares on my RN526x and then shuts itself down when the backup completes.  I get daily completion emails,so I know the status  It typically takes about half an hour for the backups to complete.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not completely clear on your "correction", but I think you have this:

Pro4:

Ethernet port 2: Static 192.168.2.89 / Gateway 192.168.2.254

NV+:

When what you need is this, assuming your home network is 192.168.2.xxx::

Pro4:

Ethernet port 2: Static 192.168.3.89 / Gateway 192.168.3.254

NV+:

Ethernet port: Static 192.168.3.90 / Gateway 192.168.3.254

Of course, neither the Pro4 port 2 nor the NV+ can actually reach 192.168.3.254.  Besides no internet access, I don't know what consequences that will have, if any.

BTW, you missed another important item in the post you referenced.  It is for two NASes that each have two Ethernet ports, so admin and internet connections are still available through the other port on each.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Of course, neither the Pro4 port 2 nor the NV+ can actually reach 192.168.3.254.  Besides no internet access, I don't know what consequences that will have, if any.

People have deliberately misconfigured gateway addresses before (to intentionally block internet access, but continue local administrative access).  so I believe that will work.

Some consequences are

• Inaccurate time on the NV+, since it can't sync to NTP. The amount of inaccuracy will increase over time.  If the RTC backup battery in the NV+ is dead (likely given the age of the NAS) then the clock will be completely wrong when the NAS is restarted after being disconnected from power.
  • Loss of email alerts
  • No ability to use hostnames in backup jobs.

Eliminating local administrative access for the NV+ (which this setup also does) is of course a bad idea, as I tried to explain above.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements