× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 3 ReadyNAS Duo V2

emoore
Follower

3 ReadyNAS Duo V2

Hello,

Came across 3 readynas duo on ebay for a great deal on ebay. model rnd-2b  There all setup with firmware  5.3.12. Currently have one with 2 3tb hardrives on the raid 5 i tnink. only show 2.7tb avaible. I was planing on getting the other 2 filled with 4TB drives once the prices goes down again, (up and down this month).

So My question is how shall i set this up for the best setup at home? have one backup the other 2? buy a external drive for each as backup? Run freenas on another machine to control all three?

This wil be used at home so it like small amount of downloads for movies like 2 month, 1 tb of music, 1tb of pictures, 1tb of software for the family or friends to install and the rest are clones of drives and backup that i need to orginize thats about 3tb. should i just keep one and sell the other 2? looking for ideas. I work in IT so i have Mac and PC stuff everywere so if something needs to be built i can so it.

Thanks for your help

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@emoore wrote:

Currently have one with 2 3tb hardrives on the raid 5 i tnink. only show 2.7tb avaible.

With a duo v2, it would have to be RAID-1.  The web ui displays TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes), and of course the hard drives use TB (1000*1000*1000*1000).  3 TB is the same as 2.73 TiB.

@emoore wrote:

So My question is how shall i set this up for the best setup at home? have one backup the other 2? 

Personally I like to have one NAS sized to hold all my data comfortably (I'm using an RN526x for that at present).

Using some of the others as backup is a good idea (and I do that as well).  if you set up share-by-share backup, then you can back up some shares on each of the backup NAS.  If some shares are particularly important to you, you could them up on both.  

@emoore wrote:

buy a external drive for each as backup?

I think NAS->NAS backup is a better option (and you certainly have enough NAS to do that).

One aspect to consider is disaster recovery.  You could use an external drive for that (keeping it off-site).  Though cloud backup is another option.  I use Crashplan for that (you could run it on a mac or PC, and map the NAS as a network drive.  There are some KB articles on the crashplan site on how to set that up).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@emoore wrote:

Currently have one with 2 3tb hardrives on the raid 5 i tnink. only show 2.7tb avaible.

With a duo v2, it would have to be RAID-1.  The web ui displays TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes), and of course the hard drives use TB (1000*1000*1000*1000).  3 TB is the same as 2.73 TiB.

@emoore wrote:

So My question is how shall i set this up for the best setup at home? have one backup the other 2? 

Personally I like to have one NAS sized to hold all my data comfortably (I'm using an RN526x for that at present).

Using some of the others as backup is a good idea (and I do that as well).  if you set up share-by-share backup, then you can back up some shares on each of the backup NAS.  If some shares are particularly important to you, you could them up on both.  

@emoore wrote:

buy a external drive for each as backup?

I think NAS->NAS backup is a better option (and you certainly have enough NAS to do that).

One aspect to consider is disaster recovery.  You could use an external drive for that (keeping it off-site).  Though cloud backup is another option.  I use Crashplan for that (you could run it on a mac or PC, and map the NAS as a network drive.  There are some KB articles on the crashplan site on how to set that up).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements