× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.17 prob: ReadyNAS keeps dropping off network (#15897862)

CharlesW
Aspirant

4.2.17 prob: ReadyNAS keeps dropping off network (#15897862)

Hello,

I've had a ReadyNAS Pro Ultra 6+ for a few months now, and it's been stable up until RAIDiator-x86 4.2.17.

After I updated to 4.2.17, it began to regularly drop off the network. RAIDar 4.3.1 doesn't see it, and neither do my Windows boxen. So at least once a day, I have to manually reboot it.

I've used System > Update > Check for Update to flash the firmware again, but that didn't help. I have almost no extra services running, but I've just disabled ReadyNAS Remote and AFP. I won't know for sure if that helps until tomorrow.

Why else would the ReadyNAS just drop off the network?

-- Charles
Message 1 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

Re: 4.2.17 upgrade prob: ReadyNAS keeps dropping off network

CharlesW wrote:
I won't know for sure if that helps until tomorrow.

It did not. The ReadyNAS is keeps disappearing under 4.2.17 even with all services disabled.

The only thing I can think of doing is downgrading to the stable version 4.2.16.

-- Charles
Message 2 of 17
kgoncher
Aspirant

I just bought the Utra6 and immediately update the firmware to 4.2.17
I have been trying to transfer files to the NAS, Short test works, but when transferring a large block, it drops off.
On forced restart it takes 6+ hours to recync.
So far its a No Go product and will return it next weak (before 30days) for a refund and try Thecus N7700PRO, it had good reviews of working!
I anyone knows why this product isn't working and can FIX IT, would save me the hassle of returning it.
Thanks Kurt
Message 3 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kgoncher since it's a new setup could you do a factory reset (this will wipe the NAS and give you a clean setup on the latest firmware) via System > Update > Factory Default?

What model disks are you using?
Message 4 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

CharlesW wrote:
The only thing I can think of doing is downgrading to the stable version 4.2.16.

Unfortunately, downgrading did not fix this. The ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus keeps regularly dropping off the network, creating a lot of havok.

Are there any other diagnostic measures I can take before contacting Netgear support?

-- Charles
Message 5 of 17
PapaBear1
Guide

Again - what are the make and models of the drives installed?
Message 6 of 17
nonstoptinkerer
Aspirant

I have had the same issue with the NAS constantly going off network. Mine is a ReadyNAS Duo RND2000-100NAS v2 with two 1TB disks configured as X-Raid.

A little digging in the log on the NAS revealed the following entries/clues:
Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 0 Current count: 2 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Hmmm, disk failing... no huge surprise but when I took the disk out of the unit, the NAS then made the following entries, showing the possible cause of the loss of network connectivity:
Disk remove event occurred on SATA channel 2.

Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 2. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead.

The disk on channel 2 has failed. The NAS will automatically shutdown in 30 minutes to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives.

Now, when my NAS "Shutdown" as indicated in the Log, it was still powered up, I just couldn't access it over the network, nor could I access it via Frontview to check it's settings. It made itself completely inaccessible. Power cycling the NAS would make it accessible again for a while (Duh, right?)

Granted, it's an assumption that the NAS was dropping its connection because of this prior to me removing the hard drive, but it seems like an awful strong coincedence.

Another symptom was that access to the NAS had been getting really slow for a few months before it started with the network dropouts.

I'm currently reformatting the offending disk on a windows machine, and will pop it back into the NAS when that's finished to see if the NAS will still use the disk. I know the NAS probably uses a different format, but that was the easiest way for me to wipe the drive.

Does anyone else with more knowledge of the internal workings of the ReadyNAS Duo know any more about this phenomenon?
Message 7 of 17
chazen
Aspirant

Have similar problem with firmware 4.2.17, ever since I installed 4.2.17 the unit becomes in accessible after a while within 24 hours. What I notice is the interface logs Rx errors and so does the switch port the nas is plugged into. The unit ran beautiful for a year straight before the firmware update.
Message 8 of 17
chazen
Aspirant

Update on this: Perform a "Local" System Update of the same 4.2.17 firmware. Download to your desktop the RAIDiator-x86 4.2.17 firmware package from the Netgear support site. From the ReadyNAS Frontview, browse to System, update. From the "Local" tab browse to the location of the firmware package and "Upload and verify image" to install. This seemed to clear up the problem of Rx errors on the interface. ReadyNAS has been working fine since the Local update!
Message 9 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

Hello,

Since other folks on the thread have been having the same problem, I thought I'd post an update.

After trying everything I could think of to identify the culprit myself, I submitted an issue on the Netgear Service Portal last week. After 48 hours I sent a tweet and Facebook status update asking if it was normal to not get a response in that amount of time. The (fast) responses I got suggested that was unusual, but it took another day to get a response from support.

I sent logs within an hour, and got a response the next day. The response was that (1) it looks like you should do an OS reinstall, (2) one of the drives has an ATA Error Count of 6, which means it's dying, and (3) I wasn't using drives on the HCL. I'd stocked the NAS with five WD20EARS drives specifically because the HCL lists it, so the last comment was surprising. The support person clarified that the HCL "Note" doesn't mean "hardware revision 00S8B1 requires firmware 80.00A80", it means "we only support that hardware revision". I mentioned how confusing that was and described how easy it would be to fix, but the support person didn't apologize for the confusion and was not interested in my opinion on that matter.

The OS reinstall had no effect. I restarted the ReadyNAS and sent another full set of logs, then replaced the drive with the high ATA Error Count with a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640. The resync took 20 hours, but during the process the unit disappeared from the network again. This confirmed that the problem is network related and has nothing to do with the drives, since the resync completed without a hitch otherwise.

It's now been another 2 days since I sent the 2nd set of logs, and I'm wondering if I'm being punished because I made a trivial suggestion on how to improve the HCL, or what. On top of that, my friend/Synology fan is making me feel like an idiot for buying a ReadyNAS. I use this thing for business, and this problem combined with the quality of support I'm getting is pretty annoying.

-- Charles
Message 10 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should edit the title of the thread (i.e. first post of the thread) to include your case number that you posted on FaceBook: 15897862.

What version of the WD20EARS do you have?

If you download your logs you should notice that most of the logs are timestamped. Do you see anything of interest around the time the NAS dropped off your network.
Message 11 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You should edit the title of the thread (i.e. first post of the thread) to include your case number that you posted on FaceBook: 15897862.

Done. Forum newbie question: Do you mind explaining how this helps? It's been 8 days since I opened the issue and 4 days since Netgear Support last contacted me, which I can't imagine they consider acceptable. I don't want to post to Twitter and Facebook again because it makes me feel like a jerk, but this seems to be the only way to get help.

mdgm wrote:
If you download your logs you should notice that most of the logs are timestamped. Do you see anything of interest around the time the NAS dropped off your network.

I did not see anything of interest, but I certainly could've missed something. Alex P. in Netgear Support looked saw the following in the first set of logs I sent, which is the reason he suggested the OS reinstall (which I've done):

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

mdgm wrote:
What version of the WD20EARS do you have?

WD20EARS-00MVWB0. They've all been WDIDLE3 /S300'd, and have given me 6 months of trouble-free operation so far. Based on the evidence (no apparent disk-related errors in the logs, a resync that completed perfectly even though the ReadyNAS fell off the network during), I believe this issue unrelated to the hard drives.

Thanks for the response,

-- Charles
Message 12 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

Re: 4.2.17 prob: ReadyNAS keeps dropping off network (#15897

Update: Netgear Support asked me to replace two hard drives with ATA Error Counts (which were stable at 2 and 6).

That $357.96 experiment had no effect. The ReadyNAS continues to be absolutely wonderful, except for the part where it drops off the network every few hours with no warning and no error notifications.

-- Charles
Message 13 of 17
beisser1
Aspirant

i have one idea that may or may not work. but it doesnt cost much time and is certainly worth a try.

is your nas by any chance connected to a managable switch? if yes, check the flowcontrol settings for the port(s) the nas is connected to.
if flowcontrol is off, turn it on.
Message 14 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

beisser wrote:
i have one idea that may or may not work. but it doesnt cost much time and is certainly worth a try.

Thanks, I really appreciate the idea! That'll be the next thing I try. Earlier today I updated the firmware on my GS108T-200 switch and reset it to factory settings, and I'm going to see what happens overnight.

Update 1: The ReadyNAS fell off the network again, so I turned on the GS108T's Global Flow Control (IEEE 802.3x) Mode and rebooted the switch. When I did, the ReadyNAS's front display lit up and displayed an IP address of 192.168.168.168 when it should be 10.0.0.60. Could 4.2.17 have introduced a problem where the device's IP address spontaneously changes?

Update 2: After another 2 days of silence, yet another Netgear Support engineer -- the 3rd assigned to my case -- asked for another set of logs, even though there's been nothing to see in the previous two sets. I sent a new set immediately, and also asked a supervisor to call and talk with me about returning the product and getting my money back. I'd have never purchased a ReadyNAS had I known how slow, disorganized and ineffectual Netgear Support would be. Very disheartened at the moment.

-- Charles
Message 15 of 17
CharlesW
Aspirant

I can't say with absolutely certainty that I've solved this, but the network monitor I installed to keep an eye on the ReadyNAS (paessler.com/prtg/) says that it's been up for over 30 hours in a row.

The problem appears to have been that the ReadyNAS began to spontaneously change its IP address to 192.168.168.168 (from 10.0.0.60) after a variable number of hours of operation. Again, I can't say with 100% certainty that the 4.2.17 update was the cause, but I do know that this didn't happen once in the previous 6 months (since I purchased the ReadyNAS).

The solution was to manually specify an IP address in FrontView instead of specifying "use DHCP server". Note that this is purely a foobar with the ReadyNAS "use DHCP server" feature since the DHCP server works fine, there are no other "rogue" DHCP servers on my network, and many other devices get a fixed IP address from the DHCP server without problems (and have for years). Again, this also worked perfectly with the ReadyNAS the first 6 months I owned it.

I hope this info helps somebody else,

-- Charles
Message 16 of 17
chazen
Aspirant

Try installing 4.2.18, (which is now 4.2.19 because its been pulled due to the fact that any AFP-enabled share will inadvertently obtain guest access), from readynas.com the "news and events" page. It's not the support page which is where you think you would find it, but no. Installed 4.2.18 and it seems to be working much better, no thanks to their support line.
-- J
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements