× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.20 Archive Bit works?

skeeboze
Aspirant

4.2.20 Archive Bit works?

Can someone please confirm if there was something put in in 4.2.20 to fix the archive bit. It seems to be working for me with this firmware but I thought this was not possible since this is a Linux file system on the ReadyNAS 3100. It was not working for me in 4.2.19. The release notes are not very detailed.
Message 1 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Re: 4.2.20 Archive Bit works?

Was not aware of issues with it. Did you contact support at all when you encountered it? The system may use a Linux file system on the back end, but CIFS/Samba supports NTFS permissions layer also.
Message 2 of 8
skeeboze
Aspirant

Yes I did contact them and they said the file system did not support the use of the archive bit. I'd have to backup the ReadyNas using time stamp. I was seeing an issue with the archive bit not clearing during a full backup or incremental but since 4.2.20 it seems to be working how I would expect which is awesome! I was not aware that SAMBA could flip the archive bit on and off as well.
Message 3 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Samba keeps extended attributes in the filesystem also.
Message 4 of 8
skeeboze
Aspirant

I tried to lookup the case number before but it may have been a phone call to support at that time. So backing up from the ReadyNAS using the Archive Bit should work with no problem?
Message 5 of 8
skeeboze
Aspirant

Looks like its kind of working. The Archive bit does not clear after a full backup for the first and second level folders. 3rd level and on have thier archive bits cleared. Can someone tell me why the archive bit of 1st and 2nd level folders do not get cleared? 4.2.21
SHARE>FOLDER1>FOLDER2>FOLDER3 - Folder 3 and on are the only ones getting the bit cleared after a full backup. Backup job is using the admin credentials.
Message 6 of 8
skeeboze
Aspirant

Disabling Opportunistic Locking does not fix the issue.
Message 7 of 8
skeeboze
Aspirant

I can clear the archive bit my self at folder 1. Then inside folder 1 I will create a test text file. The test file's archive bit is on. Folder 1's archive bit is still off.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements